Pond Filter To Cycle Tank?

clancaster23

New Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just bought a setup that includes 75 gallon tank, stand and Rena XP2 canister filter. Want to get this thing cycled ASAP. I have an outside pond that has about 9 various goldfish and a Koi in it. Was wondering if I can somehow take a piece of the filter I run in it and add it to the tank to get the bio stuff going faster? The pond has been running all summer as well as the last year before so the filters are nice and green and established and should have some beneficial stuff for the tank. Never done this before so wanted to ask someone who knows about thus stuff. If I can do this, how would I go about doing it?
 
Honesty I don't think I'd try it. I have gotten all sorts of weird stuff from even the cleanest of ponds. So if you go for it, let's hope you're not squeamish.
 
Techinically you can because the bacteria is the same but personally I wouldnt want anything from an outdoor pond in my tank.

As kelly said, even the cleanest of ponds have alsorts of nasty bugs/bacteria in them

Try get some mature media from anybgody you know with a tank or check out the media donation section of this forum to see if anyone lives near you.

Andy
 
I would not recommend doing this at all. Like stated above, there are tons of stuff in your pond that should not be in your tank. A pond is exposed to all the elements, as well as all parasite/bacteria/bugs from being outside. You have no idea what could be in your filter media.

Try to find an established tank to get the media from, either from your LFS or a member on here, this method would be far more beneficial.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top