polypterus congica

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ozzy47

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just got 4 polypterus congica and wandered if anyone had any info on these fellows they are only small at the moment about 3-4 inches, and i have them in a 55 gallon with 2 black ghost knife fish which are only about 2-3 inches, will post some pics soon in the pics section but any info would be great

congica is likely to be a mispelling of Polypterus endlicheri congicus the saddled bichir, but have seen Polypterus senegalus senegalus sold as congicus.

endlicheri are one of the larger species and I would expect 20" as a minimum where as senegalus tend to only get to a 12".

Check out this link to my bichir pics and see if yours match up

bichir page

Hope this helps

David :fish:

PS a good place to look for poly info is fishbase

first of all i would like to say that is some nice fish u have there but mine dont match any of those they are just white, but they are defo birchir as u can tell by the the fins down thier back the only one it poss looks like is the gray one in the third pic down i think, i will get some pics later and post but thanks again and nice fish

Is this them?

DSC02063.jpg

thats the one in the middle ryan the white one, they where sold as polypterus congicus, is that right and can i find out wot size they reach etc. they are taking blood worm at the moment as they are only small i have posted pics in the map.

How much did you pay for your bichirs? Polypterus endlicheri congicus is a very rare import and always commands high prices, i would suspect your fish are Polypterus senegalus unless you have paid a serious ammount of money for them.
If your fish ARE a P.endlicheri congicus then you can expect them to grow to over 3 feet, however if they are P.senegalus they rarely reach over 12" in captivity.

I just looked at your photos and i can confirm that your bichirs are Polypterus senegalus senegalus.

CFC said:
I just looked at your photos and i can confirm that your bichirs are Polypterus senegalus senegalus.
I'd agree, my picture above is also of a Polypterus senegalus.

If you have 4 polypterus at the moment i would like to advise you that as they grow up they will not tolerate each other,that is of course,unless your tank is very large. Bad damage is rare because of their armour but the weakest one will probably be hounded to misery.

I have found that they are actually quite tolerent of co specifics, I have 5 different species and have never had any ongoing trouble just the occasional nip.

David :fish:

That has been my findings too, i have 3 species in one tank and all 3 share the same spot under some bogwood.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back