Polar blue parrot convict cichlid!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My fish had arrived today that I ordered and I just wanted to share him. He is currently in my quarantine tank just in case so he doesn’t wipe out my 75 gallon tank. Has anyone had any experience with them or parrot fish in general?

Attachments

• 2C122E0D-08EE-4C45-9B8C-DBC28A91A6AB.jpeg
    2C122E0D-08EE-4C45-9B8C-DBC28A91A6AB.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 85438314-D50B-443D-AEC6-1D5864105A75.jpeg
    85438314-D50B-443D-AEC6-1D5864105A75.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 298
Never owned one , very attractive fish , I know they grow a similar size to a convict and have a similar temperament, I would home with other similar sized Cichlidae at a guess

I thought that the grow close to a parrot cichlid (around 10").. I believe they have a more of a similar temperament to a parrot fish (mildly aggressive) and thus will go with fish around the same size and temperament. I plan on putting him in a 75 gallon with two severums and 3 acaras. I think in theory it'll go well, however, I am waiting till he grows a little in since even if all the fish in the tank are juveniles, some of the have gotten pretty big compared to the parrot. If anyone has another input or if they know I said something wrong, please do tell :)

His behavior is also rather interesting, since from what I know convict are usually bottom level in tanks as are parrrots and parrots usually like to hide in caves and stuff quite a bit. He behaves very actively and swim around usually mid and top level; and seems to recognize me when I come to his tank (like an oscar)

Not my personal taste in fish but I think a 75 with those 6 cichlids is going to be a bit tight. This one could be a bit of a wild card too so keep an eye on them.

Severums need quite a wide tank front to back at least 2 foot as they can get at least 10-12 inches.

When I am old enough and have my own house I would be more than happy to get them an even bigger tank. I haven’t introduced him yet as I introduced one of the EBAs a few days ago and he is incredibly shy as he is smaller compared to the rest. I am trying to make him come out to eat but as of now I’ve just been feeding him shrimp pellets that I believe he is eating

Nice :) but just remember most Severums will get to full size within 2-3 years.

Wills

Not significantly, some Cichlids to have a big size difference between male and female but not very noticable in Severum species. What kind of Severum are they?

Wills

I have a red spotted severum and a gold severums. One is about 4” and one is 3” and I’ve had them both for about a year

Both are very calm and only sometimes the red spotted, which is the bigger one, tries to chase the golden one (but he is too slow):hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back