Pointless Quoting

Waterloo starts a thread about too many quotes and we're teaching someone how to quote in it. :lol:

I do agree though that everything except the pertinent part of the quoted reply should be deleted. I have always done that but I'm sure some people are too lazy to do it. Kind of like being too lazy to spell check and make their post grammatically correct. I know I am guilty of that at times. Usually more like being in a hurry rather than lazy I guess.

agreed...

ooops

I do agree though that everything except the pertinent part of the quoted reply should be deleted.

agreed...

The problem is, you have three "reply" boxes.

" Reply

^ Fast Reply

+ Add Reply

...and if you click the first one, it automatically quotes everything the last person says.

If you go for + Add Reply, it doesn't.....but it gives you all the tool options.

If you go for ^ Fast Reply, it doesn't quote but it also doesn't give you any tools, just a basic writing page.

Maybe we just have to many options :)

The good thing about fast reply is that if you select text on the page (or even on another page......) another button becomes available;

"Add Selected Text As Quote"

Which if you click when text is selected posts the selected text as, believe it or not, a quote! Its quite good for quoting in a quicker fashion! And it does all the brackets for you!

Facinating ! :eek: I never knew that ! :D thanks !

Which if you click when text is selected posts the selected text as, believe it or not, a quote! Its quite good for quoting in a quicker fashion! And it does all the brackets for you!

thats cool... all i need now is a spell checker :)

I actually was a member (I guess I still am but haven't been there in months) that had a spellchecker. You could spellcheck before you posted.

Also, on quoting, you can quote several different people by simply clicking the "Quote" button under each post you want to quote. When you do this and then click the "Add Reply" button ,it will pull up the box with all posts that you clicked quoted. You can even click "Quote" on a post in this thread and then go to another thread and click "Add Reply" and it will carry the quote from here to there. Like this one from the thread about One Million posts. I don't know that to be very useful, just found it out by doing it by accident.

Well today fish forums recorded its 1 millionth post which is a huge milestone so i would like to say a big thankyou and well done to all our members on behalf of the moderating team.

THANKYOU AND WELL DONE​

:wizard: :band: :drink: :- :pepsi:

That is actually very useful thanks ! I often quote from another thread :D

There is another really simple way to quote short bits.

If you wish to quote a sentance for example, but not direct it at anyone in particular or know the original poster will spot it quickly you can:

Click and drag to highlight the words you wish to quote. I am sure you all know how to click and drag to highlight text. If you can't, put your computer in a box and send it to Botswana, they will benefit from it more than you and you really shouldnt have a computer, you are dangerous with one.

Select "edit" then copy. Alternatively, right click on highlighted text and select copy. Alternatively press and hold "ctrl" and press "c" to copy the text to the clipboard.

Start your "add reply"

at the top of the reply page with the formatting, you will see a little speech bubble near the middle.

click it once to get the:

Code:
[quote]
to start your quote.

paste the text you want to quote (done similar to copy, read computer manuals or google it to learn how to paste.)

Click that quote button again to get:

Code:
[/quote]

Example:

*click* [ quote ] *paste in copied text* This is how to quote *click* [ /quote ]

gives

Code:
[quote]This is how to quote[/quote]

This is how to quote

notice how this type of quote does not quote who wrote it or when.

Feel free to attempt this method by quoting the following text through copy and pasting it.

We shall maybe talk about using the "code" formatting soon.

And of course, those who get savvy enough, will start just typing in [ quote ] instead of clicking buttons.

Most reactions

Back