Pleco

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

ArtByLou

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Iā€™m not new to owning fish but just got two plecs, I have one small one, only just bought it a month ago (no idea what kind) and one thereā€™s a bristlenose that came with the tank. Itā€™s a 300 litre tank, water changed regularly, bristlenose and angel are thriving but Iā€™m finding it strange that the young pleco sits at the top near the surface of the water and then swims down like a fish would, then itā€™ll sit there for a minute and then go back to the top. I find this strange as the bristlenose acts normal, moves as youā€™d expect and hides under the driftwood or in the castle.
Is this normal or is there something wrong with the pleco?

Do you have plenty of aeration? What species of plec is it? Quite surprised youā€™re asking for help but not interested in finding out which fish you have...

Hi guys,
Iā€™m not new to owning fish but just got two plecs, I have one small one, only just bought it a month ago (no idea what kind) and one thereā€™s a bristlenose that came with the tank. Itā€™s a 300 litre tank, water changed regularly, bristlenose and angel are thriving but Iā€™m finding it strange that the young pleco sits at the top near the surface of the water and then swims down like a fish would, then itā€™ll sit there for a minute and then go back to the top. I find this strange as the bristlenose acts normal, moves as youā€™d expect and hides under the driftwood or in the castle.
Probably if you post a pic someone can ID your other pleco. A few people here, think it was Colin & Bryon , sure helped me when I bought a used system with 20 cichlids & catfish.

Hi guys,
An image of the alleged 'Pleco' would be helpful.

Do you have plenty of aeration? What species of plec is it? Quite surprised youā€™re asking for help but not interested in finding out which fish you have...
I have attempted to ask on many forums but no one has been able to identify so I gave up regarding that question until it is bigger but if anyone here is able to help then that would be appreciated. My friend bought the same one from the same place and his is doing absolutely fine and acts how my bristlenose does. Yes there is plenty of aeration. Here is a picture of it in the tank I first had prior to changing it, I donā€™t have a photo of it just swimming free as it never stayed still enough

Attachments

• 83D4DE7E-F6CB-4261-A108-BCE043C679E5.jpeg
    83D4DE7E-F6CB-4261-A108-BCE043C679E5.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 44
Here it is tonight

Attachments

• E2DBD3EB-F10D-4A5C-B79B-F886216B900D.jpeg
    E2DBD3EB-F10D-4A5C-B79B-F886216B900D.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 43
  • 3A9858B8-E5A1-4FFD-A7E7-5F812700354B.jpeg
    3A9858B8-E5A1-4FFD-A7E7-5F812700354B.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 44
Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus ?
Thatā€™s what I thought at first, but P. j has a dark and spotted belly. It does look like one in the other two pictures though...
Possibly itā€™s staying at the top because the BN wonā€™t let it stay at the bottom?
Itā€™s very thin and needs a few good meals.

Most reactions

Back