Pleco with just veggies...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gurpreet._._

Reaction score
This might sound silly but could a pleco just survive on vegetables such as cucumber, lettuce, spinach, cabbage etc.(these are the ones I've fed to mine pleco) without any special pleco food and algae wafers...

well it depends on the species, my ancistrus dolichopterus only eats veggies and the bio-film of the tank, I add some leaf litter and wood chips and he noms on them, also a piece of wood is a good idea since it promotes the growth of algae on its surface and some pleco species do need some cellulose on their diets

well it depends on the species, my ancistrus dolichopterus only eats veggies and the bio-film of the tank, I add some leaf litter and wood chips and he noms on them, also a piece of wood is a good idea since it promotes the growth of algae on its surface and some pleco species do need some cellulose on their diets
What about a common pleco ?

What about a common pleco ?
ah, the common pleco, hypostomus plecostomus, so cute, so big, SO misunderstood. I love them, common plecos are mainly carnivorous so I would say 65% meat 35% plants, so like weekly I would say to let it eat the biofilm and wood but for the things that you would actively feed I would do something like this 4 or 5 out of the 7 days, you would feed a meaty food (fish flakes, fish/shrimp meal pellets, blood worms, shrimp/fish fillet, hardboiled egg) and the other 3 or 2 days a plant food (lettuce, cucumber, spinach, zucchini, carrot). That should be a good diet for the cute baby

All suckermouth catfish need driftwood and algae as their main diet. They can have other foods as well but they need aquatic plant matter (algae) and driftwood to help their digestive tract.

You can give them wafers as well as cucumber, pumpkin, etc.

All suckermouth catfish need driftwood and algae as their main diet. They can have other foods as well but they need aquatic plant matter (algae) and driftwood to help their digestive tract.

You can give them wafers as well as cucumber, pumpkin, etc.
There are in fact some plecos that need more meat than algae in their diets and not all plecos need wood in their diets

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back