Plec for a pond

They've got big plecs in the koi ponds at my local LFS so they definitely exist. What species they are, I cannot say.

I would say that a common plec would be ok in a garden pond in the hot summer months but would't last over winter. plecs are not cold water fish and should really be kept in a warm tropical tank. why do you want a plec for your pond anyway? you probably wouldn't see it and as for algae, you would need loads of them. the only true coldwater plec i know is the hong kong plec which isn't a true plec. these would be better suited to a pond but still may not last over winter.

Hi Anna, any chance of asking your LFS what species it is next time you go in there?
Ste2k3, I love plecs but I know how big some of them can get. I thought if I was to buy a species that can handle cold water I could put it in my mums pond when it outgrows its tank. I reckon it would be cool to watch a giant plec rummage around the bottom of the pond. Our winters aren,t too cold like England but it dose go down to about 1-2 degrees but normally only for one or two days during the coldest part.

I phoned the LFS. Apparently the plecs in cold water were butterfly plecs, which although cold water fish cannot over-winter in UK outside. They are sold for goldfish tanks.

They do have bottom feeders, however, including sturgeon, red-finned rud and grass carp. Grass carp are algae eaters, apparently. I've absolutely no idea what the scientific name is for any of these species.

Do nt think you will true cold water plecs, would not advise keeping any tropical fish in a pond! Those butterfly plecs, i expect you would find them to be hillstream loaches. as true butterfly plecs do not get very big!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back