FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I also just tested everything in the new tank and it all seems good for now.
Daily testing once the betta is in, you'll need to change the water every day or two.
Minimal feeding (2 or 3x/week) and live plants will reduce the build up of ammonia and nitrite.

Sounds like you are getting on the right track.

It is important not to blame yourself for what has happened, it isn't your fault and as someone who is new to this fishkeeping lark, you didn't know what to do and had been given poor advice by the shop workers. Don't beat yourself up.

Fishkeeping is a mix of science and patience (alot of patience)....and a little frustration thrown in here and there.

It isn't an easy hobby. It can be expensive both financially and emotionally.

You're in the right place here to gain advice and build experience......you'll get there and despite everything, I am sure that you and your family will begin to enjoy keeping fish.

Keep us updated on your progress, if stuck just ask....we are all here to help you.

Fishkeeping can be tough when first starting out....but once past those potholes and curveballs, it is an extremely rewarding hobby :)

It is important not to blame yourself for what has happened, it isn't your fault and as someone who is new to this fishkeeping lark, you didn't know what to do and had been given poor advice by the shop workers. Don't beat yourself up.

Fishkeeping is a mix of science and patience (alot of patience)....and a little frustration thrown in here and there.

You're in the right place here to gain advice and build experience......you'll get there and despite everything, I am sure that you and your family will begin to enjoy keeping fish.

Keep us updated on your progress, if stuck just ask....we are all here to help you.

Fishkeeping can be tough when first starting out....but once past those potholes and curveballs, it is an extremely rewarding hobby :)
We already are enjoying it! I just worry too much and read too much. I didn’t think it would so involved. Certainly not a pet for a 5 year old. Well not if you want things done, right, and the fish to live as comfortable as possible. This all started because my ex has a betta for my son at that house. So he asked my mother if she would buy him a “family of fish”for my house. the betta over there is in like a 1 1/2 or 3 gallon tank with no heater, no filter…..just eating like 3 or 4 pellets every other day and he seems to be doing way better then poor snowflake. I told my ex you need a heater and have sent home shrimp and worms with my son as a treat but he says they never give it to him. I asked the size of the tank so i could buy him a little heater and send it back but my ex is saying joes is lonely over there maybe he should come here to live with my fish. I’m betting that happens a lot. People think it’s super easy and when they find out it’s more work they would rather give up. I’m not the quitting type so that’s why I found you guys.

I am noticing some white dots on the purple glow fish. Not sure if it’s nothing but I will upload some pics and see what you think. He / she likes to zip around so it’s hard to get a good one.

Thanks again 💜

Attachments

• C49E6028-86B5-4639-8F4E-44AFCB39C31B.jpeg
    C49E6028-86B5-4639-8F4E-44AFCB39C31B.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 3D51B49A-6AF3-4C90-A901-7D683692A1FA.jpeg
    3D51B49A-6AF3-4C90-A901-7D683692A1FA.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 15
  • AB9E53F4-315B-4D82-8608-3A4465FB1DC6.jpeg
    AB9E53F4-315B-4D82-8608-3A4465FB1DC6.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 36A427E5-361B-4F90-AD98-DA044A7B4FD5.jpeg
    36A427E5-361B-4F90-AD98-DA044A7B4FD5.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 14
Is it possible to remove this sand? Marine sand is not good for freshwater tanks. The cheapest substrate is actually play sand. Our American members will help you choose the best brand, but I think the one they usually recommend is sold at Lowes.
The most common brand is Quikrete play sand.

I use the Quikrete PFS, sold at Home Depot

And just to reassure the OP, play sand is designed for children to play in. Which means that it is non-abrasive and non-toxic. Which makes it perfect for fish too.

Play sand is safe for children to eat (deliberately or otherwise), so it is safe for fish :)

Thank you both. That is safe for them? I use that at work and wouldn’t think to use that.
More than safe. In fact, for some fish, like corys or loaches, it's ideal.
And here's another great part. You can spend $10-11 to get five pounds of brand aquarium sand. Or you can spend $5-6 and get 50 pounds of play sand. Now I didn't go to math school, but I know which of those I would choose.

Last edited:
More than safe. In fact, for some fish, like corys or loaches, it's ideal.
And here's another great part. You can spend $10-11 to get five pounds of brand aquarium sand. Or you can spend $5-6 and get 50 pounds of play sand. Now I didn't go to math school, but I know which of those I would choose.
Haha good point!

Sorry to bother you again but I am noticing small white dots on a few of the fishes fins and it does look like the betta has a cut or something. Petco says to use betta fix. I know they have inch pedicures and antibiotics and all kinds of other stuff but what should I do? The water in both tanks is clean but they are probably not very happy or comfortable.

Attachments

• 186E53E7-9B74-46C2-B7D7-4859FE183BA3.jpeg
    186E53E7-9B74-46C2-B7D7-4859FE183BA3.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 906E122A-5132-4C11-BE16-CC27649C94C7.jpeg
    906E122A-5132-4C11-BE16-CC27649C94C7.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 13
  • A811719E-0500-4545-A68F-86E999AC116E.jpeg
    A811719E-0500-4545-A68F-86E999AC116E.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 15
Do not use bettafix. It's a herbal antiseptic which can interfere with the labyrinth organ of fish such as bettas and gouramis. It doesn't do much for bacterial infections of other fish either, being just herbal.

It's hard to see clearly from the photos but if the white spots look like salt grains stuck on the fish, that's ich. There are medications to treat this, or you could use heat. Do a big water change and vaccum the bottom of the tank to remove any ich cysts, then refil with water warmer than usual. Turn the heater up to raise the temperature of the water to 86 deg F (as measured by a thermometer in the water not the setting on the heater as those are usually inaccurate) and leave it at that temp for 2 weeks or 7 days after the last spot disappears. Then let the water cool naturally by turning the heater back down. If you do a water change during this time, make sure the new water is at 86 deg so the tank water doesn't cool below that temp.

I was told yesterday about the “fix” medications that’s why I haven’t used anything. What brand is best for ich? There are also corydoras in that tank and I read that they don’t tolerate a lot of medications. They look like little sprinkles of sugar or salt. I can try and take better pictures.

How about the cut on the betta? She was in the tank with them and has only 2 little white spots on 1 fin at the moment. It’s what looks like a cut on her that is worrying me. Is it ok to give antibiotic? I know about humans and dogs but am so out of my depth with all of this. Thanks

I'll have to leave the ich medication for American members to suggest, I'm afraid.

Re the cut - does it look infected? If not, just clean water. But if it's redder than the normal colour, or white and fluffy then it is infected. Again i don't know which medication as we can't get antibiotics here without a prescription.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back