Video Please help whats wrong with my molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

the white patch is excess mucous caused by something in the water stressing him out.

the swimming/ sinking issue is a swim bladder problem and there is nothing you can do about that.

either keep the fish in a shallow tank with about 4-6 inches of water, or euthanise it

and the GH is a bit low for mollies who do better at a GH of 250ppm, however that did not cause this problem.

the white patch is excess mucous caused by something in the water stressing him out.

the swimming/ sinking issue is a swim bladder problem and there is nothing you can do about that.

either keep the fish in a shallow tank with about 4-6 inches of water, or euthanise it

and the GH is a bit low for mollies who do better at a GH of 250ppm, however that did not cause this problem.
How do i raise gh?
I moved him from 55 to 5

what causes swim bladder?

Also i cant euthanize due to religious and personal weak heart reasons. How can i make him more comfortable?

How do i raise gh?

what causes swim bladder?
You can buy a Rift Lake water conditioner from pet shops or online and this is a white powder that raises the GH, KH and pH of the water for African Rift Lake cichlids. It can also be used at a lower dose rate for livebearers like mollies.

Swim bladder problems are usually caused by poor quality fish. Basically fish that are inbred and have poor genetic diversity.

--------------------
Also i cant euthanize due to religious and personal weak heart reasons. How can i make him more comfortable?
Keep it in shallow slow moving water with a few plants.

Last edited:
Sadly, for a fish in distress, 'comfortable' is a relative term.
Colin_T makes a good suggestion and I would add that you consider carefully and slowly adjusting the water parameters in the 5 gallon tank to meet good Mollie standards, as proposed above. Let the fish remain alone and in dim light and feed small amounts. Some aquarium salt might help.

All that said, it IS possible that the white is excess mucus, as previously stated and is a consequence of the fish being startled and bumping hard into something. Keep a close eye for any improvement. If none occurs, then... :(

sadly he died and another male as well died ,
I also have a 3rd male in the 55 seems like he os showing signs of heading down the same road. Thing is im not sure why its effecting males only females seem to be doing just fine. I added a pic of dead ones they dont seem to visibly have something wrong i dont know im bummed

Attachments

• E1571C2C-B75D-43B0-8D28-D7A77E9F1244.jpeg
    E1571C2C-B75D-43B0-8D28-D7A77E9F1244.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 158179CD-54CB-498E-80E0-8188AC635798.jpeg
    158179CD-54CB-498E-80E0-8188AC635798.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 43
From the photos, it does look as if the eyes are popping out a tad.
This can be a symptom of more than one disease, but this at least suggests that a disease is present in your tank.
As to why it appears to affect the males more than the females, usually the males are more active in a tank and, therefore, can be more prone to stress.
Sorry for your loss and please remember that any mistake is just another learning opportunity.

Guys im going crazy here i did another ph test and its super low im not sure why please help!!! Im going crazy here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 36
Guys today is hecket as heck . One of the molly had babies im not sure who i have 3 females. I took them all out and put them in a separate tank to give reat of fry chance i dont know how many there where in the 55 i just started seeing the fish go crazy and eating them i was able to save only 5 fry and 2 died pleeeeae help

the best treatment for livebearers that aren't doing well is big daily water changes and salt.
I did about 80% for some reason the water went acidic and dropped supper low. Only thing i did different was i used to dose stability and i bought fluval bacteria enhancer cuz the store ran out of stability. Could that be the cause?

I don't know what stability is.
The liquid bacterial supplements will not affect pH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back