PLEASE HELP ("MY RABBIT SNAILS MANTLE IS SHOWING & SHE CANT GO AMK THE WAY BACK IN HER SHELL. I LOVE HER ❤️ SOOOOOO MUXH, AND IM SO TERRIFIED!!!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kimmie18

Reaction score
So the other day I always clean out my tank, she lives with a Betta (Dumbella), and 2 other more ordinary small snails ( Cherry, Mr. Snuggles Papa Snail). They all snuggle together, esp. at bedtime, but other times as well. All the animals in there are just abt the same age, except Cherry who got added 2 weeks ago.
Any rate I'm here because Shelby LOVES❤️ TO BE TAKEN OUT ONCE A WEEK WHERE I HOLD HER AND PET HER THE GIVE HER A BATH. She goes under the bathroom faucet with a very light stream of water same temp t to get clean I held her upright so the water would go in her shell like she loves, but she was NOT ENJOYING LIKE USUAL. She did not seem inpain just upset[/SIZE] and wanted to be left alone. So I placed her back in thas her tank but I noticed she was already I'll say half way out of her shell and not suctioning to my palm and I seen a black flap of skin going all the way around her body. So I gave her the bath as usual but she was NOT AT ALL HER NORMAL SELF!!! She kind of turned herself around alittle bie tank after showi6her to my husband, and he begin to do research. And the co conclusion was her Mantle was (torn, ripped, too many falls, but she doesn't climb much which actually led me to give her the bath that day because she climbed up and had her had out of the water, and when I noticed the back covering around her body I thought maybe she had a food water, pellet or any type of food possibly stuck i side her shell.
But after Greg my husband by did his research we figured out it was her Mantle that had somehow torn or ripped inside her shell body. I read a few (NOT MANY) INFORMATION THATS OUT THERE BUT NOT VERY HELPFUL AT ALL. I love this ❤️ snail soooo much I just can't sit back back & DO NOTHING, when maybe just maybe there is something that can be done to help fix it or if NOT there is something, (if she is in pain there's something I can do to help. If anyone has ant little bit if advice, or answers, or anything at all I BEG YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP.

Like I said I'm new to this forum, and hopefully I'll even be able to find it again, but I ask if you can email me personally. I AM SOOO DESPERATE.
My email is
[email protected].
Please anything at all I beg you, Eve. If you think it's not really related, I'll read and take to ❤️ anyway. PLEASE. THANKS SO MUCH FOR TAKING 'YOUR" TIME TO READ THIS, IT MEANS MORE THEN YOULL EVER KNOW.TY!!

The first question to ask is, does the snail smell? The snail falling out of the shell is usually bad news, and if there is a very unpleasant smell, the snail is dead.

All you can do is put it in a container of tank water and wait. Change the water every day by emptying the container and filling it with more tank water. Place a cloth over the container because if it recovers it could climb out of the container. Place the container on the top of the tank, on the lid if it has one, to keep the container water warm.

I know you want to do the best for the snail, but I do need to tell you that washing the snail in tap water is not a good idea. Firstly there is chlorine or chloramine in tap water which will burn a snail's delicate tissues. And a running stream of water, however gentle, will damage the body. To bath a snail, it should be placed in a container of old tank water - or at a pinch, a container of dechlorinated water - and the shell gently rubbed.

Leave the snail alone and stop messing with it. Your kindness maybe cruelty in my eyes but others may say different.

Cruel is a strong word as OP was trying to take good care of the snail. I do think taking it in and out of the water is stressful. Leave it be and love it through the glass. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back