Please help, my betta is breathing hard after a water change what is wrong?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tutlehorse

Reaction score
On Wednesday my mom cleaned my bettas 5 and a half gallon tank while I was at school. When I got home from school he was breathing really hard and hiding at the bottom of the tank. Yesterday he didnt move from his hiding spot in this tree cave thing and was breathing really hard still. I didnt see him come to the surface. Today his face is red and it looks like he might have a cut but I'm not sure, I included a picture below. I fed him yesterday and the day before but he didnt zoom up to the surface like he usually does to get his food, I'm not sure if he ate any because it all sunk and he didnt pay attention to it He is still panting but not as bad as yesterday, he is barely moving around but not himself. I tested the water a little bit ago and it was mostly normal. I just dont know what to do I feel so bad! I've included a summary down below
-100%water change on Wednesday.
-my mom claimed to not have done anything differently, we've been doing this before and hes been fine
-im wondering if this might be temperature shock because my mom just puts him in this little 3 gallon tank while she is cleaning with 2 inches of water. We made sure the temperature was normal before putting him back in his normal tank, but he might have been cold in the 3 gallon one. Does temperature shock last this long?
-he is in a 5 1/2 gallon tank
-water change about every 2weeks
-nitrate (No3) 0
-nitrite (no2)
-pH 7
-KH 80
-GH 120 that's a little high how would I fix it?
-the tester strips I used dont have an ammonia test on them should I get some that have that?
-we boil our tap water and let it cool down and put it in the fish tank until it is a normal temp, is that wrong? We dont add anything to it
-tank has a heater set to 78degrees the temperature is 80 right now
-tank also has a filter, the filter was changed when the tank was cleaned
-He is panting and breathing hard at the bottom of the tank.

20210212_183425.jpg

He is not usually that pink, but he was a little bit.
20210212_195650.jpg
20210212_195729.jpg

I have some of this will it help him? Please help me!I need your advice

Last edited:
Do you have BettaFix near the tank? My mom accidentally put that in my brother's tank instead of chlorine neutralizer once, and it killed his betta. Is there solidified chlorine neutralizer on the measurement cap (if there is one)? If so, your mom could have accidentally put too little in. The only other thing I can think of is that there may have been something wrong with the 3 gallon. I wish I could help you more.

Do you have BettaFix near the tank? My mom accidentally put that in my brother's tank instead of chlorine neutralizer once, and it killed his betta. Is there solidified chlorine neutralizer on the measurement cap (if there is one)? If so, your mom could have accidentally put too little in. The only other thing I can think of is that there may have been something wrong with the 3 gallon. I wish I could help you more.
I dont think so, we dont put anything in the water, we just boil it. Thanks tho

Hi! I'm sorry this has happened, we'll do what we can to try to help save your betta!

You need some water conditioner. Most tap water has chlorine in it. Water suppliers add it to the tapwater because it kills bacteria, keeping our drinking water safe for us to drink, however, chlorine is toxic to fish. You need a product like Seachem Prime that removes chlorine and chloromines. Would your mum be willing to buy some?

I'm not sure which products are available in the US for this, but this would be the first step. There's a lot wrong with the water changing methods you've been using, but it's a mistake lots of beginners make, and we can talk you through how to do water changes in future so they're safer for your fish. Temperature matching is important, along with neutralising chlorine and chloromines. We can also talk through how to cycle your tank, since changing all of the water at once, removing the betta for each change, and replacing the filter isn't good I'm afraid. It's likely crashed any cycle you had going, so step one is to make sure he's in clean, safe water now, which means water conditioner added to fresh tap water that is the same temp as the tank water.

If you can, fill a bucket with tap water, and leave it to sit somewhere inside for 24 hours. That will allow the chlorine to air off. Then you can use a heater to bring it to the tank temp before doing another water change. You're probably going to need to do several partial water changes over the next days, so refill that bucket or container once you've done a water change.

For now, please let me know whether your mum would be willing to get some water conditioner for you. If you check Amazon for aquarium water conditioner, please let me know some of the water conditioner products are available to you and that you can get, since there are a few that are bad for bettas. I can let you know which are better. Seachem Prime is safe, and a little goes a long way, but it is expensive, so a cheaper one might be okay, just need to check that it's Betta safe before you buy it, okay?

Would be good if you could get to a fish store and pick up a bottle of water conditioner as soon as possible, rather than ordering online and having to wait for days. Remove any food that the betta hasn't eaten.

Hi! I'm sorry this has happened, we'll do what we can to try to help save your betta!

You need some water conditioner. Most tap water has chlorine in it. Water suppliers add it to the tapwater because it kills bacteria, keeping our drinking water safe for us to drink, however, chlorine is toxic to fish. You need a product like Seachem Prime that removes chlorine and chloromines. Would your mum be willing to buy some?

I'm not sure which products are available in the US for this, but this would be the first step. There's a lot wrong with the water changing methods you've been using, but it's a mistake lots of beginners make, and we can talk you through how to do water changes in future so they're safer for your fish. Temperature matching is important, along with neutralising chlorine and chloromines. We can also talk through how to cycle your tank, since changing all of the water at once, removing the betta for each change, and replacing the filter isn't good I'm afraid. It's likely crashed any cycle you had going, so step one is to make sure he's in clean, safe water now, which means water conditioner added to fresh tap water that is the same temp as the tank water.

If you can, fill a bucket with tap water, and leave it to sit somewhere inside for 24 hours. That will allow the chlorine to air off. Then you can use a heater to bring it to the tank temp before doing another water change. You're probably going to need to do several partial water changes over the next days, so refill that bucket or container once you've done a water change.

For now, please let me know whether your mum would be willing to get some water conditioner for you. If you check Amazon for aquarium water conditioner, please let me know some of the water conditioner products are available to you and that you can get, since there are a few that are bad for bettas. I can let you know which are better. Seachem Prime is safe, and a little goes a long way, but it is expensive, so a cheaper one might be okay, just need to check that it's Betta safe before you buy it, okay?

Would be good if you could get to a fish store and pick up a bottle of water conditioner as soon as possible, rather than ordering online and having to wait for days. Remove any food that the betta hasn't eaten.
Thank you. I have these, but my mom stopped using them because the measurements were too confusing because 2 of them including the one that removes chlorine says 5ml per 10us gallons but I have a 5.5 gallon tank and she didnt know how much to put in. I can start putting it in tho if I can figure out the measurements. How would I remove uneated food, it is pellets so it kind of resolved on top of the rocks. Also can I put it the liquids while the fish is in there? The middle one leaked.20210212_222642.jpgcan you see the words on the bottles?

Thank you. I have these, but my mom stopped using them because the measurements were too confusing because 2 of them including the one that removes chlorine says 5ml per 10us gallons but I have a 5.5 gallon tank and she didnt know how much to put in. I can start putting it in tho if I can figure out the measurements. How would I remove uneated food, it is pellets so it kind of resolved on top of the rocks. Also can I put it the liquids while the fish is in there? The middle one leaked.View attachment 128913can you see the words on the bottles?
I figured it out it would be 2.75ml for my tank

Thank you. I have these, but my mom stopped using them because the measurements were too confusing because 2 of them including the one that removes chlorine says 5ml per 10us gallons but I have a 5.5 gallon tank and she didnt know how much to put in. I can start putting it in tho if I can figure out the measurements. How would I remove uneated food, it is pellets so it kind of resolved on top of the rocks. Also can I put it the liquids while the fish is in there? The middle one leaked.View attachment 128913can you see the words on the bottles?
That's great!

A turkey baster, when you can get one, is ideal for removing things like uneaten fish pellets :D If you can, get a new one, not one from your kitchen that has had turkey juices all over it :lol: That would not be fun for your fish.

For now, can you get some fresh tap water, and dose the amount of stress coat plus you worked out, the one on the right of the photo. Don't worry about getting the measurements perfectly exact, does the cap have a measurement for 5ml in it? Usually the cap is also a measuring cup, although I haven't used API myself so not sure on that one. If it does, measure out a tiny bit over half a cap, and add that to the new water before you put it in the tank, stirring it around a bit, and making sure the temp of the new water is the same as his tank temperature.

Do a water change by putting the betta in the 3 gallon with some of his tank water - if you fill the 3 gallon until it's roughly one third full, then he'll be in roughly a gallon of water. Make sense?

Make sure the new water for his 5.5 gallon tank has had the water conditioner added, and is the same temperature as the tank water in the gallon he's in while you do the water change. You can remove the uneaten food then while you do that water change.

Also from the photo, it looks like you have a very thick layer of gravel in his tank? While he's in the 3 gallon, take out about half of the gravel, if that's okay. A five and a half gallon tank is a nice size tank for a betta, but if you look at his tank and a fifth of that space is taken up by gravel, then he's really only got about 4.5 gallons of water in there, you know what I mean? And right now, the more fresh clean, declorinated water he has to dilute his waste, the better for him :) If removing the gravel stirs up a lot of bits of poop and stuff, don't rinse it or any decor under the tap, just rinse it out in the old tank water you've removed.

Leave enough space in the tank to add your betta and the gallon of water he's in back into the tank. That way you will have changed roughly 80% of his water for nice clean, declorinated water, and that roughly 20% of the water he's still in means it's not too drastic a change in water conditions for him. In the future, you can do water changes without having to remove him from his tank at all. That's less stressful for him (and for you!) if he can stay in his main tank while you syphon and change his water in future. Will go into more detail about how to do that later! For now, doing those things will hopefully help him improve. Don't add any more food to the tank for now until we've got this sorted, okay? Fish can go for days, even a week or more without food, but food rotting at the bottom of his tank will produce ammonia, and ammonia is toxic to fish, so we don't want to add any more waste to the tank while he's recovering. He'll be fine without food for a day or two, I promise!

If you could do that water change as soon as possible please, then let us know if he seems any better? Also, what filter is on the tank? Did your mum remove and replace filter cartridges when she cleaned it?

That's great!

A turkey baster, when you can get one, is ideal for removing things like uneaten fish pellets :D If you can, get a new one, not one from your kitchen that has had turkey juices all over it :lol: That would not be fun for your fish.

For now, can you get some fresh tap water, and dose the amount of stress coat plus you worked out, the one on the right of the photo. Don't worry about getting the measurements perfectly exact, does the cap have a measurement for 5ml in it? Usually the cap is also a measuring cup, although I haven't used API myself so not sure on that one. If it does, measure out a tiny bit over half a cap, and add that to the new water before you put it in the tank, stirring it around a bit, and making sure the temp of the new water is the same as his tank temperature.

Do a water change by putting the betta in the 3 gallon with some of his tank water - if you fill the 3 gallon until it's roughly one third full, then he'll be in roughly a gallon of water. Make sense?

Make sure the new water for his 5.5 gallon tank has had the water conditioner added, and is the same temperature as the tank water in the gallon he's in while you do the water change. You can remove the uneaten food then while you do that water change.

Also from the photo, it looks like you have a very thick layer of gravel in his tank? While he's in the 3 gallon, take out about half of the gravel, if that's okay. A five and a half gallon tank is a nice size tank for a betta, but if you look at his tank and a fifth of that space is taken up by gravel, then he's really only got about 4.5 gallons of water in there, you know what I mean? And right now, the more fresh clean, declorinated water he has to dilute his waste, the better for him :) If removing the gravel stirs up a lot of bits of poop and stuff, don't rinse it or any decor under the tap, just rinse it out in the old tank water you've removed.

Leave enough space in the tank to add your betta and the gallon of water he's in back into the tank. That way you will have changed roughly 80% of his water for nice clean, declorinated water, and that roughly 20% of the water he's still in means it's not too drastic a change in water conditions for him. In the future, you can do water changes without having to remove him from his tank at all. That's less stressful for him (and for you!) if he can stay in his main tank while you syphon and change his water in future. Will go into more detail about how to do that later! For now, doing those things will hopefully help him improve. Don't add any more food to the tank for now until we've got this sorted, okay? Fish can go for days, even a week or more without food, but food rotting at the bottom of his tank will produce ammonia, and ammonia is toxic to fish, so we don't want to add any more waste to the tank while he's recovering. He'll be fine without food for a day or two, I promise!

If you could do that water change as soon as possible please, then let us know if he seems any better? Also, what filter is on the tank? Did your mum remove and replace filter cartridges when she cleaned it?
Ok thank you so much I will do that tomorrow since it is 11:30 at night here. Also she did replace the filter cartridge, I have I think, a top fin silenstream 10 power filter. I got the name from the box of filter cartridges we use.

Last edited:
That's great!

Do you think he has ammonia burns, I dont completely understand what they are or what cycling is, but someone said he might. Also do you think moving him would be too stressful right now
20210213_121128.jpg

Well, if it’s 5ml per 10 US gallons, then you would need to take 10 divided by 5. That answer gives you how many gallons for 1ml. 1 divided by 5 equals 2 US gallons. That means right now you have 1ml per 2 gallons. You then take 1 divided by 2, and that gives you how much you need for 1 gallon. 1 divided by 2 equals 0.5ml.

That means (for your 5.5g tank) you need to dose 2.75ml.

It’s all kind of confusing, but it’s just math. :)

Do you think he has ammonia burns, I dont completely understand what they are or what cycling is, but someone said he might. Also do you think moving him would be too stressful right now
View attachment 128931
Do you have any pictures of him before the incident, so we can compare?

Well, if it’s 5ml per 10 US gallons, then you would need to take 10 divided by 5. That answer gives you how many gallons for 1ml. 1 divided by 5 equals 2 US gallons. That means right now you have 1ml per 2 gallons. You then take 1 divided by 2, and that gives you how much you need for 1 gallon. 1 divided by 2 equals 0.5ml.

That means (for your 5.5g tank) you need to dose 2.75ml.

It’s all kind of confusing, but it’s just math. :)

Do you have any pictures of him before the incident, so we can compare?
Ok thanks? I figured it out a different way using proportions but we both got the same number.here is some pictures from before 20200828_092524.jpg
20201006_092248.jpg

20200727_145548.jpg
These are from when he was still kind of young but they are the most recent ones. More recently before he got sick he was normally a little pink on his head, it might have been something brewing that I didnt notice. Here is the oldest picture I have when I first got him in july 2020
20200703_201010.jpg

I just did about a 70-80% water change added some conditioner and ammo lock but he is still panting. I'll give him some time. Sorry if it seems like I'm talking about things that we didnt talk about, I'm going back and forth between 2 betta forums

Last edited:
If he has ammonia burns it will effect his breathing as it reduces the uptake of oxygen through his gills. Adorabelle is trying to limit further damage and give him the safest water to live in whilst he heals.

Can you test for nitrites? If nitrites are present you will need another water change and to add one heaped tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt. Let us know.

Last edited:
@Tutlehorse This is what I would be using. Best thing for ammonia and nitrate poisoning. You can get it in fish stores and drug stores. Poor little guy. He looks bad. You can place 5 teaspoons of methylene blue into 3 gallons of dechlorinated tap water same temp as his tank. Let him stay in no more than 10 seconds. Return fish to his tank. DO NOT USE METAL BOWLS...USE PLASTIC.
Jun 16, 2020 — Methylene Blue (also known as Methylthioninium chloride) is a cationic dye, redox indicator, and photosensitizer. ... Methylene Blue is an aquarium-safe disinfectant and can also be used for the treatment of ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Edited: 2/14/21 Time 1935

Last edited:
I just did about a 70-80% water change added some conditioner and ammo lock but he is still panting. I'll give him some time. Sorry if it seems like I'm talking about things that we didnt talk about, I'm going back and forth between 2 betta forums
Ammo Lock will lock the ammonia but will not treat the poisoning. Please see my posts above.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back