Please Help Me Major Emergency!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yesterday I did a 20% water change and today I did a 75% water change. I think I'm going to try to add them back. Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Now that the emergency is over, it is time for some reflection to avoid future issues like this one.

First, you (silencedogood) must understand that every substance added to the water in the aquarium will get inside the fish. Fish continually take in water via osmosis through every cell, and via the gills. Anything in the water gets inside the fish, in the bloodstream and internal organs. This is detrimental, always. The only time it is beneficial is when it is essential for the health of the fish--specific medications/treatments for very specific issues.

Any additive that will or even may kill something does not belong in a fish tank [except for the afore-mentioned disease treatment issue].

At the first sign of fish distress, do a major water change using only a good conditioner. Colin explained this, as have others. There is nothing beyond a large water change that will benefit in such situations, and it is the only way to even consider saving the fish.

Colin also correctly mentioned that the damage this has likely done is permanent. Even if the fish survive, they are no longer as strong as they were, and this can lead to other problems down the road. And always a shorter-than-normal lifespan as a result.

We all learned this and most the hard way. But now we know. :fish:

Colin also correctly mentioned that the damage this has likely done is permanent. Even if the fish survive, they are no longer as strong as they were, and this can lead to other problems down the road. And always a shorter-than-normal lifespan as a result
The damage is permanent? Good thing the company is reimbursing me for every fish that has died. I just had another guppy die.

First, you (silencedogood) must understand that every substance added to the water in the aquarium will get inside the fish. Fish continually take in water via osmosis through every cell, and via the gills. Anything in the water gets inside the fish, in the bloodstream and internal organs. This is detrimental, always. The only time it is beneficial is when it is essential for the health of the fish--specific medications/treatments for very specific issues.
So then why did they say that this is safe for fish? Btw, I had called them before I used it just to double check. Does this happen with all algae killers? And how long will it take for my surviving fish to get this out of their system?

So then why did they say that this is safe for fish? Btw, I had called them before I used it just to double check. Does this happen with all algae killers? And how long will it take for my surviving fish to get this out of their system?

The word "safe" means different things to different people. Using this or any other product according to directions may be considered "safe" to some people if the fish don't turn belly-up and die immediately. But death is not the criteria for "safe" when it comes to additives.

I explained previously how every substance in the water gets inside fish. Having these toxic chemicals moving through the bloodstream is not safe. Most of them will weaken fish, and that is just the beginning. The fish may recover or they may never recover.

No algae killer is safe for fish. Any substance that kills has no place in an aquarium, with the exception of medications/antibiotics that are essential for a very specific disease.

Oh I see. Next time I'll ask you all first before I add a unknown in the tank. :) Is it most likely that the rest of the fish exposed to this chemical will die too? Also, why aren't my neon tetras affected by this?

Also, why aren't my neon tetras affected by this?

This surprises me too. Characins (tetras are in the family characidae) are highly sensitive to any substance/chemical in the water and are frequently the first fish to show the effects, which is why most medications recommend half strength for characins and some other fish.

any algicide can harm fish if you overdose.

the fish should be free of chemicals within a couple of days but it will take a few weeks for them to recover from the damage it has done.

keep doing big daily water changes and feed them 3-5 times a day for the next few weeks. It will help them recover.

Did you put your fish back in the tank? I would hold off like Colin said until you have done the water changes and so as not to overly stress them by moving them when they are still weak. On top of that I’m not sure if the chemicals might have killed your beneficial bacteria and if you find out the cycle is gone you’d have to go through the cycling process with weakened fish and they may not survive ammonia and nitrite spikes. I’m really sorry you are having to go through this. I hope that your remaining fish make it. After your fish are hopefully on the up and up there are many safe algae removal alternatives as well as pest snail removal alternatives that many of the people here can help you with - if you ever have issues with either in the future. Keep us posted on how your remaining fish are doing and if you have any lingering problems with your fish or questions just ask.

Thank you all. I put my one adult guppy and swordtail back in the tank. I have another swordtail in the tank as well. They are all pretty weak; I'm just going to monitor for now. I also have four teenage guppies but I left them in the 10 gallon. One is on it's way out and two others have clamped fins. I'm going to leave them in hope that they will recover. I did think that my neons would suffer from this but thankfully they are doing well. I'm going to do another water change as soon as possible.
How will I know if my cycle is messed up?

Put a filter sponge over your filter intake as weak fish could get sucked up against it.

You need a test kit to test for presence of any ammonia, nitrates, or nitrates. Do you have a test kit?

Yes I have the API master test kit. If the cycle was messed up the levels would be abnormal, right?
Filter sponge meaning filter cartridge?

Filter sponge goes over the intake and you’d see a rise in ammonia and nitrite levels if you lost your cycle.

Correct. You want to put filter sponge material over the intake. They sell sponges preformed or you could create your own if you a large enough piece of filter foam / sponge .

Last edited:
Re-reading this thread, something occurred to me. Parameters were mentioned near the beginning but none provided. What is the GH, KH and pH of your source (tap water on its own, and for the tank water (if different values)? The GH, KH and pH for the source water you should be able to get from the water authority, check their website.

If my assumption based upon your baking soda issue and the reaction of the livebearers compared to the neons, I think I know the issue why the former are dying. But let's have the numbers, there is no point in further guessing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back