Please Help Me Major Emergency!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I don't believe morning or aftenoon would matter. Did you add the product directly into the tank or did you mix it in a jar with some water and then spread it all over the tank? If you put the chemical directly into the tank without diluting first, the concentration of chemical directly near the area where you put it in the tank would be very very high and if any fish swam through that area, they would have been exposed to a toxic very high concentration.

What did you use to measure the proper dose?

Algae Control.jpg

That's what I used.

My goodness I am not putting anything in the water. I just meant about the algae killer. I don't intent on poisoning any more fish :)
ok, sorry I thought you were adding more chemicals. I was gonna track you down and whack you on the noggin for doing that :)

Algicides or medications can be added at any time day or night. It's just a chemical and will work whether the lights are on or off. If the guy at the shop is telling you to use it in the morning instead of the afternoon, he is spinning you a line.

don't believe morning or aftenoon would matter. Did you add the product directly into the tank or did you mix it in a jar with some water and then spread it all over the tank? If you put the chemical directly into the tank without diluting first, the concentration of chemical directly near the area where you put it in the tank would be very very high and if any fish swam through that area, they would have been exposed to a toxic very high concentration.

What did you use to measure the proper dose?
I put it directly into the tank right where the filters shoot out the water. The bottle has a side for measuring but I used a cap that measures out mls.

ok, sorry I thought you were adding more chemicals. I was gonna track you down and whack you on the noggin for doing that :)
Algicides or medications can be added at any time day or night. It's just a chemical and will work whether the lights are on or off. If the guy at the shop is telling you to use it in the morning instead of the afternoon, he is spinning you a line[/QUOTE

The guy from the company who makes this product told me that.

Last edited:
I read on another thread that you sometimes add baking powder to your tank. Large changes in the ph can also affect fish negatively. When did you add baking soda last time?

I really can't see how adding the chemical in the morning is any different to the afternoon.

The last time I added baking soda was two months ago but whenever I do water changes I add Seachem Alkaline Buffer.

In any case, the algae killer did what I wanted it to do; it killed my hundreds of pest snails. What do I do with them? They won't vacuum up.

How do you mercy kill a fish without clove bud oil?

If you have sand in the tank, use a course mesh fish net and sieve the snails out of the sand.
If you have gravel in the tank, just leave them and monitor the ammonia levels. You will probably get ammonia spikes for a few weeks while the snails decompose and then it should be fine. Just do a water change if there's an ammonia reading.

If you did the 75% water change, then I would add the fish back to the main tank. Do another 75% water change each day till the health of fish improve.

How many big water changes have you done on the main tank?
If you've done two x 75%+ water changes it should be safe.

I would not move any fish that are really sick, if they aren't swimming properly or still struggling to breath, leave them where they are for a couple of days so they can recover a bit.

If and when you do move them, carefully catch them in a net but keep them in the water. Then put a bucket under the net and lift the fish out in the net that is in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back