Please help me identify this fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Below are two pictures of a fish I just recently noticed that I see only at feeding time. (which is why the pictures are a little messy) - he swims and eats anywhere in the aquarium, not as restricted to one part as many fish are.

He is similar in size and shape to a cherry barb, no longer than 2 inches. I do have 5 cherry barbs but all are red, and always have been red - in fact the only albino fish I've ever purchased were 2 Cory Cats (Albino Aeneus), and 2 Dojo loaches I've never seen him with the cherry barbs - he hangs out in the sword plant foliage, they are on the opposite side of the aquarium in the cave.

There are 4 species that I've bought over time that I rarely, if ever see. When I look them up he doesn't look anything like these species but who knows? As far as I know I've never had anything breed in the tank.

LIcorice Gourami (2) -I see these sometimes and they are smaller and thinner and have a lot of brown
Algae Eating Bluefin (Male) Killifish (4) - can't locate all of them but they have a long black stripe going down their bodies.)
Gardneri Panchax (Male) Killifish (2) - but they should be colorful, never been seen since purchase, and only briefly - they were very expensive, but no bodies were ever found)
Chinese Algae Eaters - (4) all euthanized for being so aggressive, this fish is quite peaceful.

I thought I kept really good records of all the fish that I've purchased, even those that have died but somehow this one got lost, and I best as I remember, I have never purchased albino fish for this particular tank.

Unknown Fish 1.JPG
Unknown Fish 2.jpg
(4 - all

Those are killifish, but I am not going to try and ID which species. Members knowledgeable in the killi's likely will be able to, maybe PM someone like Backinthefold.

It would have to be one of the Gardnerni that I've been missing - that somehow lost it's color - or perhaps they sent me one that never developed his colors fully. The other Killifish look much differently and if I hunt long enough I can usually find them. Thanks!

I don't know what the scientific name is of the bluefin killi you refer to but they look like female Aphyosemium killifish. If you had A. gardneri, they could be females, or the adults bred and you have a couple of young.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back