Please help, i want to catch problem right away!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mabbitt

Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2310476932344459&id=100001465255023

Fresh water tank is 8 years established. No live plants. Gravel substrate.

Ammonia - 0
GH - 180 (Always is)
KH - 180 - 240 (Always is also)
pH - 7.5 - 8.0 (Always is)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

My tank is under stocked with about 35 inches of fish in a 50 gallon. Fluval70 HOB Filter. Marineland LED light.

I did my monthly routine water change of 20% and my heater for my tank got adjusted to raise to 84 degrees from 75ish.. so i turned the heater off so the tank could get back closer to temp of 75... I have a fish (Angel Ram) that can't live in 80+ degrees.. 24 hours later some glofish tetras have white spots on the fins and two of the 8 little neon tetras have it all over and are in a school taking turns rubbing against a decoration... No signs on all of the glofish tetras just a couple. No signs on the chinese algae eater. Baby striped raphael haven't seen for few days because hes a catfish... No sign on the ram either. im pretty sure they developed ich do to the rapid increase in temp...

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
What fish are in the tank?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

Have you got any pictures of the sick fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

--------------------------
What is an Angel Ram?

A 20% water change once a month is not sufficient. You should do bigger (50-75%) water changes and gravel clean the substrate at least once every 2 weeks, and a 75% water change once a week is ideal.

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Imagine living in your house with no windows, doors, toilet, bathroom or anything. You eat and poop in the environment and have no clean air. Eventually you end up living in your own filth, which would probably be made worse by you throwing up due to the smell. You would get sick very quickly and probably die unless someone came to clean up regularly and open the place up to let in fresh air.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

If the fish have white spot, raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then reduce the temperature.

If the water temperature is less than 27C (80F), raise it a couple of degrees each day until you get to 86F.

Before raising the temperature, wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 80-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
*NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water.

The following link has information about treating white spot. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth reading.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-is-ich.7092/

I'll wait for pics before commenting, but it sure sounds like ich.

They very first link in my post has a video and a picture...

So I killed all the lights and keeping a blanket around the tank and am slowly upping the temp to 86 and adding the salt slowly at 10 gallons worth of the dosage on the bottle. The angel fish is a cross with a blue ram .. very pretty fish got from live aquaria.. I do not have a spare tank except a 3.5 gallon thats almost finished cycling but for my son to get a bettalol ... ive heard more success around with heat and salt vs meds... and even my trustworthy lfs guy said all the meds from stores are mostly money making and dont do much... hopefully survive it!!
Also i took out 4.5 gallons of water so filter creates more oxygen and have a 1000 air pump with stone in waterfall decoration for more oxygen..

I am only gonna treat 40 gallons water with the salt make sure dont over salt as substrate takes up space and minus the 4.5 gallons out of the 50 gallon tank it is.

You can use salt and a black out for Oodinium (velvet) but you don't need to add salt or black out the tank for white spot. Just raise the temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks.

Angelfish can't hybridise with ramirezi dwarf cichlids. The fish sold as angel ram on LiveAquaria.com are balloon rams. These are a mutated short body ramirezi dwarf cichlid that can have internal problems due to having a shorter body.

Unfortunately not everyone has a Facebook account so I, and probably others, can't view your link.

You can use salt and a black out for Oodinium (velvet) but you don't need to add salt or black out the tank for white spot. Just raise the temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks.

Angelfish can't hybridise with ramirezi dwarf cichlids. The fish sold as angel ram on LiveAquaria.com are balloon rams. These are a mutated short body ramirezi dwarf cichlid that can have internal problems due to having a shorter body.
I actually use a little aquarium salt in my tank with the 86F temp. The salt helps disinfect in small wounds after the ich detaches from the fish.

The first link looks like a balloon electric blue ram, the second looks like a balloon standard ram. They are both deformed specimens of different colours of the same species, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

So a Bolivian ram or German blue Ram would have been a better choice for longer lasting life?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back