Playtex Gloves

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
1,604
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi. I was just wondering if playtex rubber gloves (brand new) would work if i were to do a water change or something like that in my tank. thanks
 
i actually dont know but have thought about it...i have very bad excema on my hands and having them in tank water for a few hours a week is not good for them...makes it worse and more uncomfortable. so im curious about this too. ive been hesitant to try and my skin is suffering for it. so if not "dishgloves", is there any sort i COULD safely use.
cheers!
 
I think they're latex-don't playtex make bras? :lol:
Anyway, to answer the Q, don't you have to get your hands in above the wrist? I think a pair of washing up gloves would probably be better :)
 
personally i would stay clear of any of those gloves, dont they have a very fine powderish coating that stops you sticking to the glove/stops the glove sticking together? who knows what this powder is made of and what havoc it could cause if it got in your tank
 
Talcum powder I believe but could be wrong. I wouldn't use such gloves on my tank, I do on my car...
 
playtex gloves are dishgloves (yes, they also make bras:). they go up to almost the elbow (mine anyway). i use NON latex type as im allergic to latex, they are made from either vinyl or nitrile(a different synthetic plastic). no powder (the powder btw is talc that they put in disposable gloves, but not dishgloves as most are lined with a fleecy type soft material)
ive been really tempted to try, but havent due to the "risk". just wondering if anyone has used them or if there are others on the market that would be considered safe. my skin would be very appreciative :)
thanks all :)
 
Nitrile gloves are excellent all around. They are used in many chem laboratories because their pores are small enough that almost all chemicals cannot seep through -- the same cannot be said of latex gloves. Nitrile is what I use when I handle medicines and the like. I don't use any gloves when doing water changes, I just scrub up with copious soap and water after.
 
when im at work cleaning the tanks i put 2 large fish bags over my arms with an elastic band at the top....works a treat! you look like an idiot but it works!
 
when im at work cleaning the tanks i put 2 large fish bags over my arms with an elastic band at the top....works a treat! you look like an idiot but it works!
that's a good idea and ive thought of that but i dont like the loss of dexterity. i need to "feel" what im doing.
BIGNOSE_
if i could find elbow-length nitrile gloves, id have not problem using them for fishkeeping. they'd be fine. but most nitriles are lab gloves and stop at the wrist. :(
if anyone knows where i could order (even an absurd amount) of elbow length nitrile gloves) let me know PLEASE :)
keep the suggestions coming :)
cheers!
 
have heard of people getting hold of vets gloves (the type they use when stickin their arms up cows bottoms... :sick: :crazy: )

Personally, I get a bin bag and some elastic bands :)
 
Nitrile gloves are excellent all around. They are used in many chem laboratories because their pores are small enough that almost all chemicals cannot seep through -- the same cannot be said of latex gloves. Nitrile is what I use when I handle medicines and the like. I don't use any gloves when doing water changes, I just scrub up with copious soap and water after.
these gloves also dont have any talk inside so would be fine :good:
 
^^^
wow awesome...thanks for that.ive looked around every fishstore in the area and never seen anything like this.
i might just have to get them, although id feel like an astronaut whenever i do tank maintenance. thanks for the info :) my skin will thank you doubly!
cheers
 
Hi, I have some of those gloves which dthoffsett mentioned. You can't feel much with them on so they aren't much good for delicate jobs. I bought them for shooing my large Pleco into a container for moving him. Mine were called Pond Gloves and I bought them online (sorry I can't remember where, it was about 5 years ago). :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top