Platy with suspected fin rot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Callum_B

Reaction score
Hi I just want some advice with my platys. I bought them a couple of days ago and noticed one had abit of its fin missing, I couldn't tell if it was fun rotior if it had been nipped. So I started treating it with api's melafix and pimafix and currently on the 5th day of treatment. But there's no sign of it getting worse or better ( I understand it's not an instant fix) the tank is cycled and my water parameters are on my profile. Platy seems fine, no abmorabn behaviour and eating fine. Also I've noticed another platy has began to develop abit of discoloration on his fin aswell. I will post the pictures and any advice is appreciated.
Thankyou

Attachments

• received_314384412785682.jpeg
    received_314384412785682.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 471
  • received_2282213952096245.jpeg
    received_2282213952096245.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 460
Which fish is it? I do not see any fish in that picture with fin rot. :)

Hi I just want some advice with my platys. I bought them a couple of days ago and noticed one had abit of its fin missing, I couldn't tell if it was fun rotior if it had been nipped. So I started treating it with api's melafix and pimafix and currently on the 5th day of treatment. But there's no sign of it getting worse or better ( I understand it's not an instant fix) the tank is cycled and my water parameters are on my profile. Platy seems fine, no abmorabn behaviour and eating fine. Also I've noticed another platy has began to develop abit of discoloration on his fin aswell. I will post the pictures and any advice is appreciated.
Thankyou
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

A GH of 4dGH is very low for platies that prefer a minimum of at least 7+ if not higher.

Platies naturally occur in hard water. Living in soft water can be harmful in the long term, they usually just “manage” in the soft water for a short while. This is probably what has caused the problems occurring.

Unfortunately, even live fish stores don’t seem to always educate fish keepers about these things.

There’s ways of increasing the GH/PH by adding salt minerals. I add this into my guppy tank as I also live if a soft water area. Most members recommend the riftwood lake brand.

However, once you start adding this into your water changes, you could never stop or it would mess up your parameters. Adding shells can also naturally increase the PH.

Living in soft water can be harmful in the long term, they usually just “manage” in the soft water for a short while.

I would recommend you continue treatment and ensure daily water changes of up to 75% are performed.

I do hope we can help your fish recover. @Colin_T would be able to give you the best advice.

Best of luck!

If you look at the fishes tail in image 2 that the OP has uploaded. You can see the torn tail and discolouration.

Thankyou for replying! It's the second picture that's in question, at first I thought it was nipped but the more I look at it's fin I keep thinking it's fin rot. What would you suggest I should do?

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

A GH of 4dGH is very low for platies that prefer a minimum of at least 7+ if not higher.

Platies naturally occur in hard water. Living in soft water can be harmful in the long term, they usually just “manage” in the soft water for a short while. This is probably what has caused the problems occurring.

Unfortunately, even live fish stores don’t seem to always educate fish keepers about these things.

There’s ways of increasing the GH/PH by adding salt minerals. I add this into my guppy tank as I also live if a soft water area. Most members recommend the riftwood lake brand.

However, once you start adding this into your water changes, you could never stop or it would mess up your parameters. Adding shells can also naturally increase the PH.

Living in soft water can be harmful in the long term, they usually just “manage” in the soft water for a short while.

I would recommend you continue treatment and ensure daily water changes of up to 75% are performed.

I do hope we can help your fish recover. @Colin_T would be able to give you the best advice.

Best of luck!

If you look at the fishes tail in image 2 that the OP has uploaded. You can see the torn tail and discolouration.

@Guppylover3x Thankyou for replying!:)
I've thought about salt but like you said once done it's best to keep doing it, also I've heard salt isn't good for plecos? So that could be out of the question. I also think my kh is low aswell and heard sea shells are good for upping the levels. This Sunday will be the last day of medicating and will be doing a water change after. Would it be best to carry out another course or just stick to more frequent water changes as that can help with fin rot.

@Guppylover3x Thankyou for replying!:)
I've thought about salt but like you said once done it's best to keep doing it, also I've heard salt isn't good for plecos? So that could be out of the question. I also think my kh is low aswell and heard sea shells are good for upping the levels. This Sunday will be the last day of medicating and will be doing a water change after. Would it be best to carry out another course or just stick to more frequent water changes as that can help with fin rot.
Sometimes people can get confused with aquarium salt and salt minerals. Aquarium salt is used for treatment purposes.

However, salt minerals are only added to increase to GH/PH of your water. They don’t usually sell these minerals in stores, I purchase mine online.

Even your pleco requires a higher GH then you currently have.

If you want to keep hard water fish this would be your only option. You’ll continue to have problems otherwise.

Keeping hard water fish is soft water unfortunately only causes suffering.

Adding mineral supplements can be difficult to maintain I guess. But it’s well worth it, to see all the fish you want thriving and happy.

Best of luck.

Sometimes people can get confused with aquarium salt and salt minerals. Aquarium salt is used for treatment purposes.

However, salt minerals are only added to increase to GH/PH of your water. They don’t usually sell these minerals in stores, I purchase mine online.

Even your pleco requires a higher GH then you currently have.

If you want to keep hard water fish this would be your only option. You’ll continue to have problems otherwise.

Keeping hard water fish is soft water unfortunately only causes suffering.

Adding mineral supplements can be difficult to maintain I guess. But it’s well worth it, to see all the fish you want thriving and happy.

Best of luck.

Thankyou for your advice!

Thankyou for your advice!
No problem, if your issues don’t resolve. You could always try normal api aquarium salt for treatment.

I’ve never used it for fin rot or fungus, but I know others who have.

Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back