platy variety

Kittycat

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can someone be so kind as to direct me to a website or image gallery with a list of the kinds of colors for platies as well as pictures? Thanks! :)

hey Kitty,

try this site... www.ekkwill.com/platies.html they seem to have a good index of platy variations w/ pics ect.

enjoy! :p

Thanks, skye. I didn't see the one I was looking for, though. I saw some platies at some LFS before that I liked, they looked silverish with light blue coloring. Maybe you know what they're called?

yes kittycat,
we sell them at petsmart where i work... theyre called blue coral platies, and are bred for thier silver blue colour, often with a mickey mouse marking at the base of the tail. (they are, however, not dyed, as some may assume...) if i can get ahold of a pic of one, i will try to post it. they are rather expensive, as far as platies go (about $10 CDN a fish) but are very cool. i have thought about saving up and getting some myself!

hope that helps! ttfn

Thanks, Skye. The description sounds like it...though the picture here is different:
http://petsolutions.com/search.asp?t=c&c=40001595

Lucky for me, I live in SE Asia, fishes are cheaper here. But it seems the platies this month are of the "orange" colored varieties, I'll be on the look out for the silver-blue which I saw a lot of couple of months ago. :) Maybe depends on shipment.

mamaschild,

yes... the pic of the blue paty is the one. :D very cute.

hey kitty... ya sorry.. i live in western Canada... cant help ya there! happy hunting B)

A good book with lots of good info and manu color pictures about both wild and common petstore varieties is titled "Swordtails And Platies" by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod and Mr. Lothar Wischnath, ISBN# 0-86622-090-9.

Hey, thanks for all the info, everybody! :) Yep, I think the blue platy in Mamaschild's link is what I had in mind...The other kinds are confusing, though, e.g. wags, variatus, crescent, etc. They all looked pretty similar to me, hehe :) It's too bad there aren't that many other platy colors, though, I'm not really into orange.

Skye, I'm not sure about conversion rate, but even at the site above (USD$2+ each), your fishes are expensive! Platies at our LFS cost roughly about 20 US cents or so.

YAY!!! I found my fishes! A friend of mine and I went to this place with a bunch of petstores, and his eyes were quick enough to spot a lone big platy among similar-looking other fishes. So he bought her for me, and funny thing is, I stopped by a petstore near our house to buy some meds, and they had the platies, just arrived today, for cheaper price (about 12 US cents). Couldn't resist, I planned on keeping just a trio, but I was so happy to see them, I got 3 more.:D All females, though, there were no males, but they look pregnant to me...

platy1resized.jpg

platy2resized.jpg

holy cow! my fish ARE expensive..... geeez! :crazy: i'm moving.... :p

ps... glad you found em... thems the ones!

cheers

I love blue platies, however, I must warn ya...they loose that metallic color. I have had several, and so havent my friends...and they always end up kinda dull looking.

Skye, the ones I got were called simply "blue platies", but I saw blue coral platies in the net and they were different, they have some orange in them. The combination is cute.

Jezah, thanks for the warning. The large female my friend first got me was dull looking at the store and in the bag. But after a day in the tank, she regained the metallic blue. Maybe it's an on-off thing? Hmm, interesting...

PS. I got home today to find fry in the tank! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back