Platy Incubation Period and Pregnancy

Cartman8779

Reaction score
Sunny California, USA. God Bless America!
:/ I have a question.

I have 2 red platys (one male and one female). How do you know if the female is pregnant. Is there any obvious signs? If she is pregnant how long is the incubation period?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated! :hyper:

Thanks,
Aaron

Hey Aaron I can help you out!

First thing is it is not recomended that you have just one male and one female. It is often the case that the male will harrass the female alot so if you have room in your tank than another female would be a bonus. :D

Second thing...look for a black spot above the anal fin of your female platy. This little black spot is called the "gravid"spot. The gravid spot are the eyes forming of the fry. Your platy will look squarish in shape.

Third is the incubation period. Plattys usually carrying their fry for about 4 weeks before giving birth. At week three you should put her in a breeders net. :D I hope this answers your questions. good Luck!

i find with mine which are orange the gravid isnt black its clear and you can see as it darker on her tummy but believe me after about 2 births youll know

is the platy in your display pic pregnant because mine has 5 days well 4 days untill she is supposed to give birth but im not sure how big she is supposed to be shes about the display pic size i dont even know if she is pregnant i dont know what to do with her is she plus she stays in a corner of the tank and swims up and down and around that corner wil she have babies should i put her in the breeder net

just a quick question, my platy is about to give birth, but i was wondering.
my guppy's always give birth as the sun comes up, makes it easy to catch the fry, but do platy's do the same thing?i want to keep the fry from the first batch, and the kids will snap if they see one get eaten.
the only fish in this tank are 1 platy, 1 otto, and 1 pleco.
also 13 guppy fry in a breeder net.as soon as she gives birth she's off to my 55 and the breeder net comes out.
also if anyone in sw ontario wants some guppy's let me know.lol

:rofl:

I dont think so, You will probably just have to monitor the tank closely...to uelp your chances of sucessful breeding make sure you have lots of hiding places IE plants, decorations, etc.

Most reactions

Back