Platy in distress!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

WyandRei

Reaction score
Hi all!

A few months ago, my partner and I inherited a tank from a friend who was moving across the country. We have had some issues because the tank was not properly cycled before our friend put the fish in and the water quality was very poor when they arrived with us but up until now, all of the fish have been doing well. We were finally able to purchase a second tank so we can give them a fresh start and were feeling very hopeful and excited until yesterday/today.

Yesterday there was an ammonia spike (went from .25ppm at last check to a frightening 2ppm). We did a large water change and added ammo lock.

This morning I woke up to find that one of our platy friends is really not doing well. Everyone looked okay yesterday but today, two platies had no appetite/are lethargic and one platy looks awful (some spots on one side and white at the tips of her fins- pictures attached). I am not sure whether this is ich or something else. I am hoping to get some guidance on how to give everyone the best chance here. The visibly sick platy is currently pregnant as well. I truly appreciate any thoughts or advice!!

Tank info:
We currently have 3 adult platy (1 male, 2 female) and 7 fry around 1-2 months old. We also have a small pleco.

Tank is 10 gallons (We are currently cycling a larger tank for them because the pleco will need more space but it is not ready for them to move into)

We siphon the gravel weekly and do 30% water changes 1-2 times per week based on readings from our test kit.

Readings from test kit today:
Ammonia: 2ppm (still present after 50% water change and addition of ammo lock)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: between 0ppm and 5ppm
PH: 7.4

Thank you so much for your help! I am new to this and want to do what is best for these fish.

Attachments

• 593A16A6-5631-42A4-B9B9-39B9FB1F94B8.jpeg
    593A16A6-5631-42A4-B9B9-39B9FB1F94B8.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 915AD828-60E9-4C97-891B-69AAC756A057.jpeg
    915AD828-60E9-4C97-891B-69AAC756A057.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 47
Change as much water as possible (basically drain it as low as you can whilst keeping the fish safe) to reduce the ammonia. When you refill the tank, make sure the water is the same temperature as the tank water and that you dechlorinate. What do you think is the source of the ammonia - as you have had the tank for months it should be cycled?
To help in between water changes reduce feeding and add live plants, especially floating ones.

I'm not sure on the sick fish, loos like fungus but you could be right with ich as well. Don't medicate yet, the wrong treatment will just add stress.

Change as much water as possible (basically drain it as low as you can whilst keeping the fish safe) to reduce the ammonia. When you refill the tank, make sure the water is the same temperature as the tank water and that you dechlorinate. What do you think is the source of the ammonia - as you have had the tank for months it should be cycled?
To help in between water changes reduce feeding and add live plants, especially floating ones.

I'm not sure on the sick fish, loos like fungus but you could be right with ich as well. Don't medicate yet, the wrong treatment will just add stress.
Thank you!

We have a couple of live plants that all seem healthy! Will get some floating ones too.

I am not sure what happened to cause the spike. We tested our tap water out of curiosity and it seems to have higher levels in it than it did before (we do condition the water and check the temp before adding it of course). Maybe we need to use different water now that our tap has changed?

I was thinking I might drain the tank like you said but was worried about doing it- I really appreciate the confidence boost to move forward with it!

I think it could be a fungus on the fish too. That was my other thought other than ich but Iā€™m still learning and I know these fish have been through some really tough conditions prior to getting to us so Iā€™m feeling very cautious.

Canā€™t thank you enough for replying!

I am not sure what happened to cause the spike. We tested our tap water out of curiosity and it seems to have higher levels in it than it did before (we do condition the water and check the temp before adding it of course). Maybe we need to use different water now that our tap has changed?
Do you mean your tap water has an ammonia reading? What are the test results?

Let us know your tank readings after the water change and include the pH and temperature please. Yes, you may be looking for an alternative water source I'm afraid. Do you drink the tap water?

Let us know your tank readings after the water change and include the pH and temperature please. Yes, you may be looking for an alternative water source I'm afraid. Do you drink the tap water?
Temp is 79
Ammonia down to a little over 1ppm
PH is now 7.2

Do you think it is safe to do another large change like this tomorrow (or later tonight) or might that be too stressful for them? Iā€™ll get some water from the store today so we arenā€™t adding tap water in anymore.

We do drink the tap water šŸ˜¬ might want to find an alternative water source for ourselves too! Haha.

Thank you so so much for your guidance and attention to this. You have truly saved the day no matter the outcome. Things are definitely starting to improve for them and you have significantly decreased my panic!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back