Platy Identification?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any websites that have a list of the different types of platies? Can any of you link me to a good website because I have a few platies I want to identify, thanks.

This is one of the platies I want to identify:

095-1.jpg

you may not be able to identify specific platies, mostly because they are such prolific breeder. I have a real mixture in my tank and some of the fry are coming out in all sorts of colours etc.

As a for instance. I have 2 blue tuxedo females (some call them mickey mouse platies) one plain orange female, one plain white-ish colour plus some young ones from the plain orange mum.

I have 2 adult males and one young male. The two adult males are very different. One is red with black fins so would fall into the red wag tail catagory but he has mated with the plain orange female (bought as a sunset platy) and the babies are a mixture. The male has a 'spitz' tail, some people on here have called it a pin tail. It just means that his tail tapers to a central point (not the same as a swordtail)

This male has also mated with one of my blue tuxedo's. The fry are a pale orange with the 'mickey mouse' markings at the base of the tail, the tuxedo stipes down the body but they have the 'spitz' tail too and so they look like this:-
IMG_0858.jpg

my other male is almost green in colour. I have some fry which I think he may have fathered but working out their colouring just yet is impossible - they are only a week or so old.

I hope that helps you in your searches

best wishes
Akasha

I think yours is a variation of marigold. (marigold variatus). Only that most of the pics I get of those have a red tail.

Found a pic of a marigold variatus platy with clear fins:
IMG_8417.JPG

Pic of female with red tail:
snc13778.jpg.w300h247.jpg

Pictures taken from google images.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back