Platies Keep Eating My Plecs Algae Wafers!

missigfunk

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Aussieland!
I bought my first plec a few days ago and just bought him some algae wafers.

It says to feed them in the late arvo/night time because they are nocturnal or something (which I did), but my platies still eat them!

I have 2 questions about it...

1. How can I stop my platies from getting to them first?

2. Will it make them sick eating algae wafers?



TIA!
 
Algae wafers are fine for platys..

I found its bets to out the lights in the tank 1hr or 30 minutes before you go to bed, then when your ready for bed, drop the wafer in, most of the the fish except the plecs should be nice and rested and not bother with the food.

I would not worry, if the plec wanted to it would easy budge its way in on the food if it was hungry :)
 
you'll find a lot of fish not just plecs enjoy algae & catfish wafers, i distract the gannets of our tank ( the tiger barbs) by giving them some flake or something up top whilst i drop the wafers in a corner for our corys & loaches. giving at lights out time as suggested is also a good idea.
 
Even after lights out, I've noticed my platies eventually fine the wafers. Supplement his diet with fresh veggies (zucchini, cucumber, potato, lettuce) and let them eat at their own pace overnight. The platies will like most of that, too, but if you clip it in place or just weigh it down with a stone, they won't be able to carry it off.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top