platies and mollies

Robert

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my male platy used to stick with the new yellow female platy, but ever since my other female that i have had longer got pregnant he sticks with her and chases all other fish away even my tiger barbs!! :flex: why is he sticking with the pregnant one?? the only other fish he doesn't chase is my female lyretail molly, which he tries to breed with , could he breed with the lyretail and produce offspring that are 50% platy and 50%molly??

Yes, platties can crossbreed with mollies :D Some males seem to decide to keep one of the females to themselves. One of mine does that.

In fact in my tank the black mollies have sort of formed a group and want to have all the platty females for themselves. They will chase of a platy male but dont mind if it is a black molly male. :hyper:

All male livebearers will try to mate with a female fish of another kind...My male gup tries to tag the female mollies and my male swordtails will try to tag the mollies and guppies. The only crossbreeding you'll likely see is a swordtail/platy cross which is 'platy variatus'. I've never heard of a platy molly cross,and if you got extremely lucky and it happened,I'd start playing the lottery. :)

Most reactions

Back