Plants Then Water Or Water Then Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Melman

Reaction score
Stupid question alert!!

Could someone tell me if it is best to plant the plants in a new aquarium then add the water or fill the tank half full with water then plant the plants?

Thanks

its not a stupid question, many people have different views on this, i am going to plant my new tank(in 3 weeks) "dry" which is without the water, this way i can get the plans closer together and think it will be easier overall, basically the only thing that can go wrong with this method is when putting the water in, the plants come up, however if you do not distrub the substrate and use like a plate when filling it is usually fine. its up to you

Thanks for the quick reply, its much appreciated.

I was planning on setting the tank up tomorrow but i might hold off adding plants and water until next week based on your advice (I can still wash the gravel and get the substrate sorted!). Also is it ok to put tap water in the tank then treat it with conditioner or will this affect the plants in any way? Obviously i would treat it immediately but it seems easier to get the water in the tank then treat it rather than filling up a load of buckets with treated water

I presume its best to buy the plants and plant them on the same day?!

I'm full of stupid questions today lol

Thanks

try and plant the plants on the day you buy them, however they will survive for a few days as long as they are kept wet. on the other question im not really sure(someone will clear it up!), i think that plants like fish dont like chlorine in the tap water, however i have seen saintly(FORUM MEMBER) filling his tank with hose pipe so supposedly that is not dechlorinated, if it was me i would dechlorinate first and then siphon in carefully, just to be sure

any more questions??

Dechlorinator works pretty much instantly, so you should be safe to add it while you're filling the tank. I fill my tanks (complete with fish) with a hosepipe, no issues, and no bacteria die-off.

So yes, your plants will be fine if you do that. :good:

Plants are fine with chlorine - or at least with the levels in our tap water. I too use a hose pipe, and in fact I only dechlorinate my water when i remember.

Thanks for all the help guys. it greatly appreciated

just as an aside with regard to plants lifting up when filling tank fill up through your filter if internal 2 way win direct filtering no mad water flow to upset plants

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back