Plants that snails and silver dollars won’t eat?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bruce1975

Reaction score
So earlier today I went to an aquarium store and asked one of the workers about algae eaters and he directed me to some snails they had. I don’t even know what kind they are because he didn’t tell me(and I didn’t ask?), but he said they eat algae and they use them a lot in ponds to clean up. So I ended up getting two, and putting them in my tank.

I also bought Java Fern from a different store because I’m trying to decorate my tank.. and one snail is eating it? I just read that most things won’t touch Java Fern, but another article said snails will eat it...

I’m supposed to get some Silverdollars on Tuesday and I’m not sure if they’ll eat plants too. So, I’m just wondering if there are plants the snails and fish won’t touch, or if plastic is the way to go.

Silver Dollars pretty much eat any plant they come across. The snails aren't half as destructive. When I kept Silver Dollars I always had a large supply of aquatic plants to feed them.

Silver Dollars pretty much eat any plant they come across. The snails aren't half as destructive. When I kept Silver Dollars I always had a large supply of aquatic plants to feed them.
Oh jeez.. maybe I shouldn’t get them. I really need dither fish but I don’t have the money to keep replacing plants if they’re going to constantly eat them. I have two large oscars that are getting pretty rough with their mating rituals and I don’t know what fish to get now. I’m kinda lost lol

Oh jeez.. maybe I shouldn’t get them. I really need dither fish but I don’t have the money to keep replacing plants if they’re going to constantly eat them. I have two large oscars that are getting pretty rough with their mating rituals and I don’t know what fish to get now. I’m kinda lost lol
If you have a pair of Oscars just enjoy them by themselves. Don't try to add anything to the tank. The pair of Oscars will give you all the entertainment you need.

I'm with Itiwhetu on this. A breeding pair of Oscars will kill most fish you have in the tank. Do not add anything to it.

As for silver dollars, they are vegetarian and need plant matter in their diet. This is why they eat any plants in the aquarium. Avoid silver dollars if you want live plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back