Plants Melting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kuzyaburst

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I bought 2 bunches of Rotala Indicas (first plant in tank) and they started melting, I wanted to know will they recover by themselves or should I do something? They were pretty tall bunches so I trimmed and replanted a couple stems. My aquarium is 36g and has black fluorite substrate with black gravel mixed in, I also add a daily dose of Flourish Excel. Do I need to do something, or should I leave it be and let it do its thing naturally? My aquarium also is in the middle of cycling and the pH of my tank is 7.5 and my ammonia and nitrite levels are low. I don't fully understand what melting really does, I've watched a couple videos about new plants in aquariums and read about but it's just not getting through to me.

Just about every plant I've put in my tanks did the same but all survived.

Generally rotala indica likes high light. What sort of lighting do you have over your tank?

Alasse said:
Generally rotala indica likes high light. What sort of lighting do you have over your tank?
I'm using the stock lights that came with the 36g Aqueon Bowfront tank, I think the bulb is a T8 18 watts

Plants do go through a period of adjustment when moved, as the water parameters, nutrients and lighting will almost certainly be different from their previous tank.  I sometimes see this when I move a plant from one tank to another.  Stem plants (like Rotala) being faster growing will show this quicker.

Having said that, I agree with Alasse on the lighting requirements, and a single T8 tube over a 36g tank is low or at best moderate light.

The other thing I spot here is your addition of a liquid carbon supplement (Excel) but no mention of the other nutrients.  The Flourite substrate will not suffice, I found this out when I used this in one tank and I still had to add liquid fertilizers just the same.  Stem plants take up nutrients via the roots and leaves, so the fertilizers should be added as liquid to the water column.  Nutrients also occur from fish foods and water changes, but these are not likely to be sufficient in most situations for fast-growing plants.

And on the Excel, I would not recommend this given the moderate light and the absence of the remaining nutrients.  The lighting and nutrients must be balanced, and for the plant species, as not all are the same in their needs.  With low/moderate lighting, you should not be in a situation of having much of a deficiency in CO2, which mainly occurs from the breakdown of organics in the substrate.  This should be sufficient to balance here.  But I would suggest the basic liquid fertilizer, such as Flourish Comprehensive Supplement first, since you are familiar with the Seachem line.

Byron.

just one question. did you buy it as an emmersed plant or submersed plant?

DerpPH said:
just one question. did you buy it as an emmersed plant or submersed plant?
submersed
Byron said:
Plants do go through a period of adjustment when moved, as the water parameters, nutrients and lighting will almost certainly be different from their previous tank.  I sometimes see this when I move a plant from one tank to another.  Stem plants (like Rotala) being faster growing will show this quicker.

Having said that, I agree with Alasse on the lighting requirements, and a single T8 tube over a 36g tank is low or at best moderate light.

The other thing I spot here is your addition of a liquid carbon supplement (Excel) but no mention of the other nutrients.  The Flourite substrate will not suffice, I found this out when I used this in one tank and I still had to add liquid fertilizers just the same.  Stem plants take up nutrients via the roots and leaves, so the fertilizers should be added as liquid to the water column.  Nutrients also occur from fish foods and water changes, but these are not likely to be sufficient in most situations for fast-growing plants.

And on the Excel, I would not recommend this given the moderate light and the absence of the remaining nutrients.  The lighting and nutrients must be balanced, and for the plant species, as not all are the same in their needs.  With low/moderate lighting, you should not be in a situation of having much of a deficiency in CO2, which mainly occurs from the breakdown of organics in the substrate.  This should be sufficient to balance here.  But I would suggest the basic liquid fertilizer, such as Flourish Comprehensive Supplement first, since you are familiar with the Seachem line.

Byron.
ok thank you

it will eventually grow, given the right parameters in your tank. good luck

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back