Plants Are Dying!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Didn't think 'New Tank Syndrome' would apply to plants too! :shout: :-(

Tank was set up over last friday/saturday.. added 6 plants from 'Pets at Home', no idea what they were (I suppose thats the main problem!) and they seemed to have established in the tank well, here is a pic.

S73F9441.jpg

The first plant (the pinkish red one in the foreground (left)) died first, yesterday.. it went mossy and brown on the stems and fell apart. In this picture (a couple of days old now) the feathery leaved plant behind it (which was growing well at first) started to close up or face downward. I presumed this was because the lights had been off at first and it was respiring, but just as I did my daily water testing I noticed one of its stems was floating off, as I went to touch it the whole thing floated up and now that's in the bin as all the stems were mossy and brown :grr:

the plant behind that which now remains, shown better in this picture

S73F9434.jpg

is looking healthy (and is growing) from the top, but I'm now noticing it too has dead leaves appearing at the base. The right hand side of the tank is fine, the Amazon swords seem ok, as does the taller, similiar purple tinted one behind them. The moss balls, flame moss and micromanthemum umbrosum all seem fine. I just don't get what is going on though!

I have installed a CO2 cannister, there is a layer of plant substrate beneath the black sand and I've added 3 small doses of fertaliser over the course of the week. I'm not sure how strong the lights are, there are 4 of them - I'll try and find out. I'm beginning to presume that perhaps I bought coldwater plants and they've not taken to the tropical temperature (which is at 25 deg celcius) The lights are on for about 10 hours a day, usually 2pm til midnight or sometimes from 11am. I really want to establish a nice backdrop of live plants and feel it slipping from my grasp a bit :no: (forgot to add, the tank is 18 inch deep)

This little tank is in preperation for my 5 footer (which i want heavily planted) and well if I can't keep half a dozen plants alive for a week in my smaller tank, how will I ever acheive my goal of a planted 5 footer! :-( any help would be appreciated!

Possibly not the smartest move, but I've ordered replacements (not same species as those that've died) I've just tried to assess each plant in there from the angles I can view them, the Amazon swords seem fine, no damage or decay. The purple undersided plant is thriving, I dare touch it though! As I said the other tall one is going a bit brown on the leaf edges and some of the lower down ones have died but the stems seem okay at the moment.

The smaller plants seem fine. I've ordered 2 bunches x Wisteria [HYGROPHILA DIFFORMIS] 2 bunches x Borneo Fern and 2 bunches x Elodea Densa, which will hopefully fulfil the same look as what I've lost but a little tougher (I hope) I just hope it isn't something I'm doing wrong as I'm doing everything to what I researched :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back