Planted Tank

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
I have had bad luck with plants mostly because I picked gravel that was too big so the roots could not hold well.

What's the best Substrates for plants?
I'm thinking sand. should I mix it with anything?
What are some hardy plants I should look for?
Should I worry about lighting?

Is it hard to keep a sand bottom clean?

I'm putting together a 55 gal tank I want it too look natural. Big chunks of bogwood and rocks.

What's the best way to clean rocks you find outside? I can use rocks I find right?
 
I have had bad luck with plants mostly because I picked gravel that was too big so the roots could not hold well.

What's the best Substrates for plants?
I'm thinking sand. should I mix it with anything?
What are some hardy plants I should look for?
Should I worry about lighting?

Is it hard to keep a sand bottom clean?

I'm putting together a 55 gal tank I want it too look natural. Big chunks of bogwood and rocks.

What's the best way to clean rocks you find outside? I can use rocks I find right?
Anubias are really good hardy plants, and do not need high levels of light and can be planted on rocks wood and in substrate.

Lighting plays a big role in your tank when it comes to growing healthy plants and minimizing algae growth.

Rule of thumb....If you have lights over 2 WPG than you need Co2 injection into the water. If you have too much Light without Co2 then you plants will not be able to perform photosynthesis right and will not grow properly and that will lead to algae growth. Same goes for if you have too much Co2 and not enough light.

Sand is a little more tedious to clean. You need to hover the end of the gravel vac about a cm above the substrate, that way you will be able to suck up poo, and not the sand.

The best way to clean "live" rocks is to boil them in water. Just know that adding rocks and wood will alter your pH levels in you tank.

Wood usually lowers pH while rocks will raise pH.

You can add potting soil and what not below the sand in your tank for your plants, this will allow them to grow better, with a better foundation for their roots.

-FHM
 
Do you want a heavily planted tank or just a fairly light planted tank?

Substrate can be either sand or fine gravel, or you can use a substrate designed for plant growth, eco complete or similar, which can be used under the sand/gravel or alone I believe. Your best bet is to ask the plants geeks in the plant forums further down :)

Hardy plants are hygrophilia difformis, hygrophilia polysperma, vallis, anubias, crypts, cabomba, Java fern.

Do you know what the wattage of your lights are? The plant peeps will want to know so they can suggest plants suitable and whether you will need co2.

I personally done use co2 in my fairly heavily planted tanks and I have 2wpg of light in a large 100g tank, but I add ferts and easycarbo to the water daily as the plants need it or I find they go mushy.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top