Planted 40g Aquarium Journal

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Just with your water changes will be fine but it can grow really quick, it will take a while and you will think what is going on and then all of a sudden it just stops because the silicates have come out of the sand and used by the algae and removed by water changes.

I'd recommend turning your filter off while you do it and try to syphon out any that scrapes into the water column.

Wills
Awesome! There is quite a bit at the moment... I will try getting to it tomorrow.
I really hope the algae comes and goes quickly... I really don't want to deal with it for too long 😅

@Byron... Just to make sure, I can quarantine ALL 15 sterbai corydoras in the 10g for a few weeks, right? I'll probably do 50% water changes 2-3 times a week for the tank...

This is my tiger lotus right now... It's been growing really well!
20230523_152430.jpg

It's going to look great when it really gets going! Make sure to feed its roots really well

@Byron... Just to make sure, I can quarantine ALL 15 sterbai corydoras in the 10g for a few weeks, right? I'll probably do 50% water changes 2-3 times a week for the tank...

Yes. Make sure there is a substrate of sand, this is very important to control bacteria. And floating plants for shade. And some sort of decor, real or fake doesn't matter, for shelter so they will not be stressed. The two/three water changes a week might be overkill, but having said that, water changes cannot hurt provided parameters are close.

Yes. Make sure there is a substrate of sand, this is very important to control bacteria. And floating plants for shade. And some sort of decor, real or fake doesn't matter, for shelter so they will not be stressed. The two/three water changes a week might be overkill, but having said that, water changes cannot hurt provided parameters are close.
Awesome! Can I just keep the sand in there I have now? It's a pool filter sand mixed with a fine black sand.
So for the water changes I should just do one large water change per week?

I already have a bunch of plants in there! 😅

Awesome! Can I just keep the sand in there I have now? It's a pool filter sand mixed with a fine black sand.
So for the water changes I should just do one large water change per week?

I already have a bunch of plants in there! 😅

The sand will be fine for a couple months.

The idea behind a QT is not only to spot possible disease issues, but to acclimate the fish to your tank environment. I never did more than the one 70% water change a week in any of my tanks, including the new fish QT. But if you do, don't make a big thing of it, just siphon out water and siphon fresh back in. But once a week do a light vacuum over the sand surface.

Wayyy later on down the road after this tank has been well established, do you guys think a blue phantom pleco would do well in here, or is that too many bottom dwellers?

Wayyy later on down the road after this tank has been well established, do you guys think a blue phantom pleco would do well in here, or is that too many bottom dwellers?
Nooooooooooooooooooo! 😭

Why ruin your lovely aquarium with an ugly alien poop factory?! Don't do it!

The tiger lotus had been growing REALLY well! I'm loving it!! 😍
20230525_103055.jpg

The red wendtii is getting some new leaves on finally!!!
20230525_103125.jpg

So are the green Wendtii. And they're growing faster!!
20230525_103132.jpg
20230525_103140.jpg

The repens leaves are going red at the top!!!
20230525_103202.jpg

And the swords are doing really well!
The vals are growing in new leaves rather quickly!!
20230525_103212.jpg

So far so good in the plant world!

Most reactions

trending

Back