Plant suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EllRog

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm currently setting up a 5GL tank for my teenage sister, she's caught the dreaded bug!
She wants to eventually get a betta in there so I was hoping for suggestions on "easy" plants she could purchase. She wont be running any CO2.

Although i have planted tanks, I wouldn't say I'm always successful with them and I won't pretend that I don't buy what i like the look of and hope that i dont kill it :lol:

Thanks in advance guys!

What is the lighting?
Good question! May be a worthy suggestion too :lol: I was going to grab a cheap day and night, led one from Amazon. Used one previously and it wasn't half bad. Your ideas are welcome though if it affects your suggestion?

Good question! May be a worthy suggestion too :lol: I was going to grab a cheap day and night, led one from Amazon. Used one previously and it wasn't half bad. Your ideas are welcome though if it affects your suggestion?
When you are looking for a light you need to look at the lumens, I will attach a picture bellow for that. I would also suggest you to take a 6500k light. Lumens will determin the brightness/intensity of the light. I would recommend staying in the easy range:
EDIT: here is a link to help you for the light https://tropica.com/en/guide/make-your-aquarium-a-success/light/

Attachments

• lumen-per-litre-uk_300x218.png
    lumen-per-litre-uk_300x218.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
@PheonixKingZ believe this is your area of expertise?
Yes, sort of...

If you aren’t going to have any Co2 in the tank, then I suggest the following...
  • Anacharis (can be grown either floating or with the end buried in the substrate)
  • Anubias (bettas like to rest on the broad leaves)
  • Salvinia (bettas enjoy floating plants)
  • Java Fern (Low to medium light requirements)
  • Moss balls (very easy to grow, not actual moss)
And last but not least, Java Moss (very easy to grow, low light requirements)

All of these plants are very easy to grow. Anacharis is my best suggestion, as you literally can’t kill it.

Yes, sort of...

If you aren’t going to have any Co2 in the tank, then I suggest the following...
  • Anacharis (can be grown either floating or with the end buried in the substrate)
  • Anubias (bettas like to rest on the broad leaves)
  • Salvinia (bettas enjoy floating plants)
  • Java Fern (Low to medium light requirements)
  • Moss balls (very easy to grow, not actual moss)
And last but not least, Java Moss (very easy to grow, low light requirements)

All of these plants are very easy to grow. Anacharis is my best suggestion, as you literally can’t kill it.
Top man, thanks for that!

When you are looking for a light you need to look at the lumens, I will attach a picture bellow for that. I would also suggest you to take a 6500k light. Lumens will determin the brightness/intensity of the light. I would recommend staying in the easy range:
EDIT: here is a link to help you for the light https://tropica.com/en/guide/make-your-aquarium-a-success/light/
Ahh thank you, very helpful! With yours and @PheonixKingZ suggestions and my ability to look after her betta it should be fairly idiot proof for her! Thanks again

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best floating plant for Bettas. It can also be planted in the gravel and does well under water.

Hygrophila polysperma and Ambulia are also good plants. They get planted in the substrate.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best floating plant for Bettas. It can also be planted in the gravel and does well under water.

Hygrophila polysperma and Ambulia are also good plants. They get planted in the substrate.
Thank you @Colin_T ! Can see a rather large order on the horizon!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back