Plant care recs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am planning a complete renovation of my 10 gallon betta tank, and I would love both care recommendations as well as which sites are trustworthy when doing my research on the plants individual needs. My current list is as follows

-Anubias (x1 or 2 I really like them)
-Anubias nano (x1)
-Amazon sword (1 or 2)
-java fern (x1)
-possibly anacharis if I can get plant trimmers
-java moss
-salvinia

I currently have 3 small marimo moss balls and an unidentified leafy plant that is probably gonna die. I'm especially on the look out for plants that will improve the health of my tank and that are low budget and low maintenance in case someone else has to take care of my tank while I'm away

I'm hoping to find something circular to float on the top to keep the salvinia clear of my little filter as well as an area for feeding. If there isn't anything premade I saw how to make them with airline tubing

I'm planning to use sand as my substrate with the possible addition of fluval stratum. If anyone has any recommendations on which of my preferred plants requite extra care like root tabs or fertilizer, and which wouldn't survive in a low light betta tank please let me know. I will be doing research before purchasing so if you have any awesome sites to visit tell me!

Sounds good :) you can just use scissors for the anarchis

Sounds good :) you can just use scissors for the anarchis
That's true. I worry about trimming tools as Hank is excessively curious and I have no doubt he would swim up to them to investigate. I don't want him to get snipped on accident :/

Amazon swords are heavy root feeders so will need root tabs. Java fern needs calcium/ magnesium so if you are using really soft water make sure whatever fert you use has calcium/magnesium. All the other plants should do well with liquid fert. Make sure your light is 5000-6700k and low light plants need 2 watts/ gallon if using fluorescent and 20-30 lumens/ liter if using led

Amazon swords are heavy root feeders so will need root tabs. Java fern needs calcium/ magnesium so if you are using really soft water make sure whatever fert you use has calcium/magnesium. All the other plants should do well with liquid fert. Make sure your light is 5000-6700k and low light plants need 2 watts/ gallon if using fluorescent and 20-30 lumens/ liter if using led
Thank you! Do you have any fertilizer recs or are they all the same?

I'm hoping to find something circular to float on the top to keep the salvinia clear of my little filter as well as an area for feeding. If there isn't anything premade I saw how to make them with airline tubing
Anubias is a garden plant that does not belong in aquariums.

-------------
Use some airline and an airline joiner to make a loop that floats on the surface. Put the Salvinia in that. You can tie some string to a suction cup and to the plastic loop and stick the suction cup to the glass so the plastic loop stays at one end of the tank.

If airline doesn't work, get some 1/2 inch diameter clear plastic hose from a hardware store and use that instead.

Anubias is a garden plant that does not belong in aquariums.

-------------
Use some airline and an airline joiner to make a loop that floats on the surface. Put the Salvinia in that. You can tie some string to a suction cup and to the plastic loop and stick the suction cup to the glass so the plastic loop stays at one end of the tank.

If airline doesn't work, get some 1/2 inch diameter clear plastic hose from a hardware store and use that instead.
Anubias?

Yes Anubias, the plant everyone uses because the shops say it is tough. It's a garden plant that slowly wastes away underwater. Even if it's given heaps of light and fertiliser, it never grows big. Get a couple and put one in a pot and grow it on your window sill and put the other in the aquarium and see how well they do.

Yes Anubias, the plant everyone uses because the shops say it is tough. It's a garden plant that slowly wastes away underwater. Even if it's given heaps of light and fertiliser, it never grows big. Get a couple and put one in a pot and grow it on your window sill and put the other in the aquarium and see how well they do.
That's crazy I never knew that. I will try that. Thanks colin! Now to buy another anubias for my experiment

Wikipedia's says it mainly grows in rivers and streams underwater

They probably say the same about Amazon Sword plants and lots of other plants sold in pet shops. Most plants sold for aquariums are actually marsh plants that spend part of the year underwater, and the rest of the year out of water.

Amazon sword plants, Crypts, Hygrophila species, Alternanthera species, Bolbitis, Bacopa and Ludwigia are all marsh plants that can grow underwater to some degree. Alternanthera is one plant that should not be grown underwater and does best in the garden. The other plants usually do quite well underwater.

Spathiphyllum, purple waffle, lizard tongue and a bunch of other plants are regularly sold as aquarium plants but rot underwater.

The next time you visit a pet shop, have a look at the plants they sell and then visit a nursery/ garden centre and see if you can find the same plants growing in pots.

They probably say the same about Amazon Sword plants and lots of other plants sold in pet shops. Most plants sold for aquariums are actually marsh plants that spend part of the year underwater, and the rest of the year out of water.

Amazon sword plants, Crypts, Hygrophila species, Alternanthera species, Bolbitis, Bacopa and Ludwigia are all marsh plants that can grow underwater to some degree. Alternanthera is one plant that should not be grown underwater and does best in the garden. The other plants usually do quite well underwater.

Spathiphyllum, purple waffle, lizard tongue and a bunch of other plants are regularly sold as aquarium plants but rot underwater.

The next time you visit a pet shop, have a look at the plants they sell and then visit a nursery/ garden centre and see if you can find the same plants growing in pots.
What if the Anubias was grown half in and half out of the water?

Thank you! Do you have any fertilizer recs or are they all the same?
Flourish comprehensive liquid fert is good for basic needs and easy to dose.for root tabs I use planted aquarium concepts root tabs. Purchased on line. They have more in them than the floirish tabs. Id steer clear of osmocote tabs as they are messy will float and get into water column.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back