Planning On Starting A 40Gallon Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Typhlodew said:
Thanks, nice to know that people have had success with them. I just wanted to double check. Any suggestions on what I should put with 10 neons and a dwarf gourami? I 've gotten a lot of suggestions for cories but would like to know the exact amount I should put in with them. Also I was thinking of one more species. Any suggestions. I think I will wait on the Irish for a while, maybe get some in a 20gal latter on. Thanks!

I don't think we have the GH and KH numbers yet, so suggesting fish is hit and miss.  

Another parameter, temperature, is important too...neons do better in slightly cooler water than many "tropical" fish, around 75-76F is better for neons.  Corys do fine in these lower temps by the way, and if you decide on corys, a group of minimum five, but here with a 40g you have the space so I would double this at least, say 10-12.  You can mix species provided you have several of each (aim for 5) whenever possible.

What is the "Irish" mentioned...I don't see anything about that previously.

Byron.

Byron said:
Thanks, nice to know that people have had success with them. I just wanted to double check. Any suggestions on what I should put with 10 neons and a dwarf gourami? I 've gotten a lot of suggestions for cories but would like to know the exact amount I should put in with them. Also I was thinking of one more species. Any suggestions. I think I will wait on the Irish for a while, maybe get some in a 20gal latter on. Thanks!

I don't think we have the GH and KH numbers yet, so suggesting fish is hit and miss.  

Another parameter, temperature, is important too...neons do better in slightly cooler water than many "tropical" fish, around 75-76F is better for neons.  Corys do fine in these lower temps by the way, and if you decide on corys, a group of minimum five, but here with a 40g you have the space so I would double this at least, say 10-12.  You can mix species provided you have several of each (aim for 5) whenever possible.

What is the "Irish" mentioned...I don't see anything about that previously.

Byron.

Lol my spell check correct "kribs" to "Irish". On the matter of gh and kh, my house does not draw from a municipal water source. We draw from a well that is about 10-15 years old. Anyway i could get a gh or kh reading on that?

On the matter of gh and kh, my house does not draw from a municipal water source. We draw from a well that is about 10-15 years old. Anyway i could get a gh or kh reading on that?

Many fish stores will do water tests, so take a sample of your tap water to a reliable store and ask them to test the GH and KH.  Just make sure they give you the number, and what unit of measurement they are using; vague terms like "moderate" may mean something to them, but not us.

You only need the hardness tested once as it will remain the same unless something is specifically targeting it in the aquarium, so there is no need to buy a test kit for GH/KH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back