Plan And Journal Of My First Planted Tank

Ark

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,
After much consideration and research i have decided to set up my first real planted tank. So far its just planning because i have my GCSE modules/exams until May 08. I have researched about alot of different tanks and was quite stunned by some of the prices such as the Rena Aqualife series, however i decided to go for the Fluval Roma 125 in beech and mocha. i went with this tank because its cheap and has everything included with it also looks very nice.

Tank Specs :
Aquarium size 80cm long x 35cm wide x 45cm high.
Volume 125 litres
Fluval 3 Plus Interal Filter may change if someone recommends a better one
Tronic Heater 150watt
Fluval GLO lighting, one of each 20watt PowerGlo & AquaGlo. ( will buy different tubes - plant gro) ok now im getting abit confused the tank has 110litres nominal volume, thats 24 gallons. with both tubes i have 40 watts of lighting and i think that gives me 1.6 wpg. is that sufficient for a planted tank.

Substrate:
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia 9l OR Seachem Onyx sand (which one is better and how many bags of each will i need)
Also im going to add 1 bag of hagen black river sand 10kg
i only want a 3-4inch layer of substrate/gravel

Plants ( most anticipating bit)
I researched quite abit on tropica and decided i want to try and stick with an asian biotope theme because there was a wide range of plants available. also i was going to purchase my plants from www.birstall.co.uk

Pogostemon Helferi
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. Green
Rotala sp. Nanjenshan
Rotala wallichii
Hygrophila corymbosa angustifolia
Hygrophila corymbosa siamensis
Pogostemon Stellata
Utricularia graminifolia
cant seem to find any other foreground plants help needed
dont really want crypts as they are rosette plants

Also 1 or 2 small peices of redmoor wood from aquaessentails

co2 : d and d complete disposable co2 set http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=649 how long do you think each refill will last in a 24gal tank at 3 or 4bps

thanks comment needed and welcomed

Ark

The D-D kit is cheaper (£99 - spend another £1 and you get free delivery) at www.aquatics-online.co.uk

That is long term a lot of stem plants for a 90cm tank but otherwise a nice choice :)

thanks nry do you think the d and d is a gd co2 unit for beginners as i have read that yeast based systems need changing every 2-4 weeks etc and fluctuate too much.i wont get that many types of rotala maybe drop 1 do you think 1.6wpg will be enough to grow those plants....
also not gettin the pogostemon helferi and ug
Ark

Most reactions

Back