'pink Redfin Killifish'

MewMew42

Fish Herder
Reaction score
In my lfs there were some 'pink redfin killifish' now i cant find anything on the internet about them, but they were stunning!

the body of them was a silvery colour and their fins were bright red/pink their body shape was like this and they were about 2/3 cm in the tank...

and they were pretty expensive! 3 for £23!

anyone shed some light?

=]

Oh, i just breeded them, eggs from Thailand , they are absolutely stunning. Its Nothos Rachovii 98 killifish.

BTW those fins change colour (Male) according to their emotion, excited is electric blue with shimmering electric blue body , otherwise will stay pink/red and will go white if scared and hiding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3AEb1ftNI < I hope they were looking like this, then that's what they are.

oh they must be them =]

thanks, they really are beautiful!

are they worth the price tag or is it better to get eggs and raise them?

=]

Raising them involves hatching "Brine Shrimp Eggs to get Baby Brine shrimps (bbs)" daily and other messy live micro-food like infusoria, daphnia etc etc. This you have to do daily, in a hatchery, till the fish get big enough to eat live worms etc, this can go on and on for weeks, Its huge hassle and investment in hatchery and you need dedicated air-pump to run this hatchery and collecting bbs is not that easy and is messy, Very hard if you are not professional breeder. and If you by mistake add more salt or temp. go up or down, you may starve your Killifish babies that day, which can kill many suddenly.

Killifish eat only LIVE food, specially when they are fry. its impossible to raise them when they are fry with anything other than live food.

So then, if you are not professional breeder and don't have that much of time/patience to feed killifish babies , then getting a pair from shop, This is absolutely worth it.

This fish are super clean, they hardly damage water qualities, they are brilliant when playing with themselves (but they get scared and can come to surface to jump out in shock).

Highly recommend getting them from shop.

i have also brought these eggs off ebay and threw the brine shrimp eggs straight out of the window.they hatched 8 days earlier than expected and i have been feeding them on banana and micro worm.i think if you have a tank set up expecially for killis and read up on hatching then and raising you wont experience many problems.i brought 50 eggs off ebay for 66p 7.00 postage arrived in about a week if not slightly under.had about 24 25 hatch so far am pulling the peat out of the water tommorrow and resinking it in a couple of weeks to try for more.anyway i think you would be better getting eggs,that way its cheaper and you should get more than 3 fish easy.
mike

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back