Ph Regulation

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
Ok, I've got all the parts to start my 5 gallon pico, but I'm not happy with the way the light hood fits so I'll have to build some kind of stand for it before I can get things running... anyway, I've got a question about pH regulation.
I haven't got a saltwater test kit yet (ordered at my LFS and it should be in next week) so I can't test the pH in the tank which is up and running with saltwater, albeit empty, but I'm worried as the pH of my tap water is 6.8, and I know this is too low. I've never had to mess with my pH before, so assuming I do need to bring it up some, what's the best product to use? I found this product today, would it be any good or is it useless?

Synirr....two quick warnings:

1) don't use tap water
2) most nano's on startup have an unstable pH, don't tart off dosing

I wouldn't fret too much if your initial pH's are in the mid 7's. However, as you begin to add corals, they cannot build their calcium based frame without a pH in the 8.1-8.2 range.

Went it comes time to buffer, I use this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EV1115

You CAN use Kent's 2 part as well.

SH

Haha..... now that you mention it, I dunno why I even said the pH of my tap water, I've got RO in the tank right now :lol:
I guess all these years of having freshwater have gotten to me.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad I might not have to toy with it much. Messing with pH scares me

Most reactions

trending

Back