Ph Question

freerunner416

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
580
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Lesmahagow, Scotland
Happy New Year Chaps and Chapettes.

For my christmas i received a pH pen to use on my tank. As the instructions stated i used distilled water to set the pH meter. After this carried out i used it on my tank. I found that my tank is sitting at 6.1. I have discus and they can handle this and are still breeding but i still want to raise it slightly. I have L114, L182 and L183 plecs some cories and rummy nose tetras in with them that are all doing really well. I just feel that the pH coming up would be beneficial for them, agreed????

In the tank i have a lot of bogwood. The pH of my tap water is 6.8. The tank is a Juwel Vision 260 and i have a tetratec 1200 external filter and air stone running on it. All of my other stats are good. I usually carry out a 25% water change every couple of days.

My question to the educated masses out there is how do i raise the pH to around the pH of my tap water and keep it there to prevent the ph wandering up and down??

Thank you in advance.
 
Agreed with truck, thats a perfectly acceptable ph, if you try to mess about with it, you will upset your fish, stable is always better for the fish.
 
Fair enough. I have some coral sand that i was going to add to the filter to try and stabilise the PH. Is it worth it or should i just leave alone?
 
Fair enough. I have some coral sand that i was going to add to the filter to try and stabilise the PH. Is it worth it or should i just leave alone?


*uses megaphone* STEP AWAY FROM THE SAND (wish there was a smilie with a police badge!)

Once you start using the sand as a pH buffer, you will be forever replacing it. Plus if using it in the filter some of it will end up being washed out, or clogging up the impeller......

someone wanna help me finish the old addage: "If it aint broken....."
 
chucks sand away and steps away.

I will leave it alone. I wont touch and i wont even dip my finger in the tank!!

Cheers for the help.

C
 

Most reactions

Back
Top