ph levels and how to reduce them

shiner3lima

Reaction score
i have been running my inherited tank for the past three weeks (before i had it, it was running for approx three years), and I was pretty pleased to see the amonia/nitrite levels were pretty near perfect (amonia 0, nitrite less than 0.3mgs)
but the ph levels have remained static at 8.0. I am now getting pretty stressed about this as I have added some fish into the tank and up until today all was fine.
Two guppy's and four tetra neon's have been in for a day and are all swimming around quite nicely, but I have added two play's today and both are acting kind of
strange. IE, one has decided that the top left corner of the tank is his space and
is not moving from it. The other sits at the bottom of the tank and moves from time to time. Is this normal for that type of fish to a new environment?
The PH thing worries me most and I would appreciate it if someone could advise how to reduce the levels.

Thanks,

8.0 is not a strange ph. As long as it's reasonable and stable most fish should be fine.

I'd never add chemicals to the tank to bring the ph down. Adding some wood would naturally bring the ph down a bit.

You need to give the new fish a chance to settle in and then judge what to do.

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back