Ph Issues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well in theory it's very helpful :) but whether it turns out to be actually helpful or just a nice theory will depend on how it goes when I introduce the first lot of fish in a couple of weeks...

Honestly, I'm dreading it! :(

Interesting. Nice and clear explanation of your acclimation methods drobbyb. I know that OM47 has written of doing drip acclimations too, so I have a question. Do both of you choose to do this for every type of fish you get or every situation? Just curious whether either of you uses the shortcut bag method for any of the hardier fish?

~~waterdrop~~

Well, with running CC in my filters I do this with all newcomers just to be safe. In the past I have used the float the bag method but this was before I started messing with my water chemistry.

It never hurts to drip acclimate, it just takes some time.

Having read through the whole thing again, I'd like to go back to the temp thing again...

Will the fish not be bothered by the temp slowing dropping in the bucket while they are acclimating? I realise you can slowly raise the temp again after, but will they have issues with the lower temp for a few hours? Obviously fish like corys which like lower temps wouldn't have so much of an issue but those fish that like warmer temps - would they become stressed by a drop in temp, even though it's very slow?

It should be fine as long as the ambient temperature isn't too different from the tank temperature. It should only drop a few degrees, and as long as the drip is going, there will be warm tank water dripping into the bucket. You could loosen the knot and get a faster flow to gradually increase the temperature in the bucket. If it worries you, you could always get a styrofoam container from the LFS. Their shipment of fish come in them and they usually have a few lying around. That would hold the heat better than a bucket.

You have some good questions!

If it worries you, you could always get a styrofoam container from the LFS. Their shipment of fish come in them and they usually have a few lying around. That would hold the heat better than a bucket.

Would it be safe to put the fish straight in that, or would I leave them in the bag, and put the bag in the poly box? Prob be better to put the bag in wouldn't it...

I will def use this method when I get my next lot of fish - thankyou :)

With a drip acclimation, you end up with water that is very much like the water in the tank, including close in temperature. After I do a drip, I just net the fish from the bucket right into the tank and then refill the tank as if I had been doing a water change.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back