PH is very acid, help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joseph1978

Reaction score
I do 2 water changes a week, I dont overfeed my fish and the water seems very clean but the PH in the water is still very acid. What can I do? what is the cause of this?
jcr

How acidic is very? Also what's the PH of your tap water? Your tank water should have the same PH as that. The water changes shouldn't affect it.

My tap water ph is 7.0 and my tank PH is 6.4

It's not very acid at all. It's very good value, if you're keeping fishes that live in acid/soft water.

How big is your tank? What fishes you have?

Do you know the general and carbonate hardness of your tank? If the carbonate hardness is low, that might be the reason for the pH swing. 6.4 doesn't sound bad, and I don't think using chemicals to change the pH is a good idea, since it's hard to keep it stable that way. If you definitely want to make the pH higher, you could add some crushed coral into your filter or the gravel, it'll slowly raise your carbonate hardness and help keep the pH stable.

I dont know the general and carbonate hardness, is there a test kit I can buy for that also? Im sorry for my ignorance but Im just a beginner, but I am trying really hard to have my fish as happy as they can be. I have a 33 gallon tank with 6 gouramis, 3 plecos, 1 discus and 1 black sword knife (its ok to keep this one with other fish, its not as agresive as other knife fish, the only rule is to avoid other fish that are small enough for him to eat)
than you guys for all the help
you are the best
jcr

You can purchase inexpensive testing kits at any fish store. They do have a shelf life and stop giving accurate results over time, so make sure it has been restocked recently.

In my experience general hardness means very little unless you are doing laundry. I don't bother testing for it. KH is a much more important value, as it directly reflects the PH.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back