pH control

Not sure Im the best person to offer advice ( see the post on 'what is NH4 in chit chat!!)
But:
The easiest way I know to control ph is to keep the water in your tank at least moderately hard. If you have hard water in your taps then great, if not your into the murky waters of buffers, which basically make the PH more stable but some contain phosphates and cant be used with real plants, such as Aquarium pharmecuticals PH up and PH Down. So pick very carefully.

Bottom line:
If your fish have no problems in the water they are in now, then dont change it.
Fish waste and natural wood/plant matter in the tank lower PH over time, but your regular water changes counteract this just fine.

Even if the species is supposed to be kept in soft acid water ie Discus, cardinals etc etc, most will do fine in medium to hard water and in the case of domestic strains harder water is actualy preferable ie Angels (not Altums). The obsession with soft acid water is sometimes a requirement for breeding but all fish are much happier in stable water, not water where the PH and hardness goes up and down like a yo yo which is usually inevitable when you use buffers and PH correctors.

unless you are planning on getting Reverse Osmosis water, your best bet is acclimating fish slowly to your tap water and doing regular water changes, if you are planning on breeding south american or some west African fish then RO could be the only way to go. Consistency is the key...
:S
Good Luck!

Ken

right now my pH is at about 7. do you think it's okay or should i try and push it down. i was thinking about getting a ram today but want to make sure everything is right before i leave. i've read they prefer slightly acidic water. any advice?

My pH is 7.2 - 7.4 and the rams are fine.
Most rams are captive bred and will live happily in a pH somewhere near 6.5 - 7.8
Try to match your lfs.
A pH of 7.0 will be great for rams.

WK

If you're playing about with pH be very careful - most fish can acclimatise to the pH of the water from your tap, but few fish can cope with pH swings.

Be especially careful of using pH buffers, particularly in hard water as they will fill your tank with phosphates (encouraging algae) and potentially cause major pH swings. Personally, I think that pH down stuff should come with a government health warning on the packet!

If you want to lower water safely consider adding bogwood to your tank. You can pre-filter through peat, but be aware of the pH swing risk. You could also consider RO water, particularly if you have sensitive fish.

Personally, with a pH of 7, and a KH that isn't too high, I'd add bogwood to naturally soften and lower the pH a little and be done with it. I've successfully kept tetras at pH 8.2 for ages so I don't think pH is quite the issue some people suggest.

On Rams:
For some reason I have dificulty with Rams, it may or may not be my suppiler but I have found domestic bred stock very weak and they just about survive the pet store. More recently I have had Czech bred stock which are normally of high quality but they dont seem to travel or settle in well. :look:
Hope you have better luck than I have but dont be too disillusioned if they dont survive...

Ken

i did go to the fish shop and while there i picked up a whole bunch of live plants (to complete the au natural tanks!) and i looked at their rams. they had four beautiful blue rams. i picked out the most active and most healthy looking male and brought him home. he's very timid (as i expected) but he does not scare easily! i can walk by the tank without even a twitch. since i dropped him in (about twenty mins ago), he's been carefully exploring the tank and his tankmates. i think he's adjusting well. makes me happy! :D :wub: :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back