Ph And Kribensis

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
The pH in my tank is 8.3-8.4. Is this too high for these fish? If so, I will add a small piece of mopani wood in hopes to "naturally" lower the pH.

Also, the tap water pH is 7.4. What could be bringing the pH up so much? I am 100% sure my substrate is just fine. The only thing that could be doing it are the rocks I have. What would be some ways to test and see if the rocks I have are raising the pH?

Fill two buckets up with water and put a rock in one. Then test like 12 or 24 hours later?

EDIT: Well, I am pretty sure the rocks I have in my tank are Limestone, which I believe raises the pH, correct? What would be the best option here? Just take them out and replace with a different kind of rock? Will the pH continue to rise, or will it level out?

I guess most importantly, will a high pH kill the fish at all?

Thanks!

-FHM
 
i have a pair of kribs in my tank but the ph is only 7.6 and they are doing fine.
 
i have a pair of kribs in my tank but the ph is only 7.6 and they are doing fine.
Yeah, that is what I have read, that the pH should be around there. Mine however right now is near 8.4, which I think may be a little high?

-FHM
 
Could the pH increase from 7.4 to nearly 8.4 in just 12 hours? Because that is how long it took for the pH to raise that high. Or, would it be from the Co2 gassing off, or anything that else that would raise the pH from having water sit over night?

I tested the rocks with a vinegar test, and they passed. No fizzing. So, they should not raise the pH that much should they?

I am not too worried about the pH being this high. As there are benefits from this. Like the beneficial bacteria thrive at that pH level, and since Kribs are part of the Cichlide family, they may not mind this high of pH either.

The only thing I am worried about is if the pH fluctuates. Then I would be really worried.

Any input is greatly welcomed!

-FHM
 
Could the pH increase from 7.4 to nearly 8.4 in just 12 hours? Because that is how long it took for the pH to raise that high. Or, would it be from the Co2 gassing off, or anything that else that would raise the pH from having water sit over night?

I tested the rocks with a vinegar test, and they passed. No fizzing. So, they should not raise the pH that much should they?

I am not too worried about the pH being this high. As there are benefits from this. Like the beneficial bacteria thrive at that pH level, and since Kribs are part of the Cichlide family, they may not mind this high of pH either.

The only thing I am worried about is if the pH fluctuates. Then I would be really worried.

Any input is greatly welcomed!

-FHM

i added my reply to your thread in the african cichlid section
 

Most reactions

Back
Top