Personable Predator!

the_evil_duboisi

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
292
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Until my Fossorochromis rostratus breed or get ill, I'm wondering what to put in my 30 gallon.

The simplest is convicts, but that is much too easy for me. I mean, I'll only do that as a last resort.

I would try my most favorite fish, polypterus, either senegalus or delhezi as the others grow to large.

Could somebody give me an opinion on a predator(Or oddball) that is personable, grows to a decent size in a 30 gallon tank, and eats well(Heartily and most anything)? To my knowledge, I think polypterus are best, but other suggestions will be gladly thanked. Sorry, but I don't want ctenopomas, and the tankmates(In any case) will be a pair of ancistrus catfish.

(PS: Regarding the polypterus, could either a rainbow snakehead or a group of mudfish be kept together?)
 
I think puffers are a personable predator, you could have some of the 'lurkers' in that size tank eg. arrowhead or congo.
Be aware though, they are not the most active fish, as their name suggests, they spend most of their time..lurking, waiting for a fish to swim by then grab it.
 
why dont you try one of the spiny eel species, they will eat mostly anything and are amazing to watch.
predatory wise, smaller species of spiney eels, zigzags and peacocks etc, wouldnt really fit into that catagory. their larger cousins, the fire eel and tiretrack is the different story, both however need around 180g minimum.
 
Dwarf snakeheads no dought. C. orientalis and gachua are great fish with personallites that can be kept with other fish and are ok with each other. You could have a pair or either, the plecs and some rainbows or larger barbs in the tank.
 
Oh.....forgot to say, I don't like puffers(Too expensive X picky eaters) or sniny eels(VERY picky eaters)

So, rainbow snakehead....I was hoping to get one. I hope it would live in a 30 gallon, planted with hortwort and a Polypterus senegalus and a pair of ancistrus as tankmates?

PS: Boy this tank is really gonna need a lid...Haha
 
Oh.....forgot to say, I don't like puffers(Too expensive X picky eaters) or sniny eels(VERY picky eaters)

So, rainbow snakehead....I was hoping to get one. I hope it would live in a 30 gallon, planted with hortwort and a Polypterus senegalus and a pair of ancistrus as tankmates?

PS: Boy this tank is really gonna need a lid...Haha

Spiny eels are not really picky eaters. If you are calling a fish that feeds on frozen foods very picky, then yeh they are, but most if not all will take bloodworm which is inexpensive, easilly accessable and they eat it well. Ok, so you may have to use a pipette and it takes a couple of mins in total to feed them, but I wouldent say they were picky.
A 30gal is fine for one, and yes it would live with the others happily. Just beware that the senegal will need a bigger tank when he grows up. Some mid water swimmers will be benifisial to the snakehead.
 
I have 3 choices for polyps. Either an albino senegalus, a delhezi or a polli. What do you think is best suited to my 30.
 
delhezi is out of the question. needs a bigger tank. the other two might work
 
Ive got a Senegal in a 30gall tank without problem. Id say you could do Del, Senegal or Polli in a 30Gall long. All 3 max at around 14" so it would house them for most of their lives. Although i do have massive overfiltration on the tank, which definately helps.
 
I used to have my senegal in a 30g also. It lived a fairly sedentary lifestyle and was a bit more "snappy" toward other fish. I moved him into my 80g and he is much more active, hand feeds, and seems more friendly overall. It is definitely possible to have one in a 30g, but I would recommend a larger one, after seeing how active they are when they have more room. I would say no to the larger polypterus species like the delhezi. I would have to say the same for ropefish, as they are gregarious (sp?) and grow fairly large. If you do decide to have a polypterus in a 30g, make sure you have a massive filtration system. I have no experience with snakeheads, as they are illegal where I live.


HTH,
Ryan
 
Delhezi are pretty much the same size as Senegals, Palmas etc. Max out at about 14" there or there abouts.
 
I do have a bit of filtration, filters max 1790 litres per hour. The tank is 90x30x45cm, but I don't knnow the litrage, probably around 150L.

Thanks for the suggestions :good: As soon as it gets fully cycled, then I'll add one polyp(Keep it a species tank) and perhaps just a bristlenose catfish for algae eating.

How should the decor be? Right now the tank is conpletely bare, and I would like to keep decor to a minimum as this is a "wet pet" tank for a single polly, and both bottom and back are black to enchance the fishes colors. How would it be if I added a piece of wood, big enough for the polly and catfish to hide under, and either Java moss or anubias attached to it? Or should I decorate generously?
 
Delhezi are pretty much the same size as Senegals, Palmas etc. Max out at about 14" there or there abouts.

In my experience, Delhezis are a bit larger. My uncle has a delhezi that is about 20 or so years old. It is around 19 inches. He has a senegal that was bought at the same time and it is only about 14 inches.

I wouldn't add driftwood, as bichirs don't like terribly acidic water. You don't have to have the tank heavily planted, but it is good to have some decor. Maybe a couple of rock structures and a few clusters of plants. If you are going to add a polypterus, definitely go with a senegal. I don't think that a 19 inch fish will be able to turn around easily in a 12 inch wide tank. And as far as I am aware, black colors will not enhance the fish's colors. It will provide more contrast though, if that is what you meant.


Ryan
 

Most reactions

Back
Top