Peppered Corydoras - Holiday Feeding Recommendations?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

antonio

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I hope I'm right posting this here..
My situation is following: I have had my tank (15 gallon, planted, no CO2, 3 pepper corys with 1-2 more to come, 6 amano shrimps) for about a year now without a problem. Ive been away once on business for 10 days and a friend took care of my tank (feed prepacked meals every two days). Unfortunately, thats no longer an option and I will once again be gone this August, this time for 16 days and my have to ask someone (who is unexperienced) to take care of the tank.
Ill once again pre-pack so she doesn't overfeed, however, what would you recommend?

1) Feed well (daily) until I leave in august, have my colleague feed once per week
2) Feed well until I leave, don't have her feed, leave two almond leaves for the shrimps
3) Feed normally (once every 1-2 days) and have my colleague feed every 2-3 days

I realize I may be overthinking this but would value your imputs!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Out of the choices you provided, I would choose option #1.

As long as you feed them hearty meals the few days before you leave, they should be fine going without food for 1 week.

Does your colleague understand how to properly feed them? I would show her ahead of time and make sure she completely understands.

There is a two-edged sword here. If you are away, the feeding is one issue, but there is also the water quality. Feeding "well" or more than essential before you leave means creating more of a possible organics problem when you are away; what goes in must come out, and less is better.

Do a major water change the day prior to leaving. Feed the fish minimally (should be standard anyway, we tend to way overfeed fish) for the few days prior. When I was twice in hospital for over a week recently, my fish were not fed during a 9-12 day period each time. Fish that are healthy can easily go a week, likely two weeks, without feeding. If you can have someone go in a couple ties with measured amounts of food, fine; but I would keep this minimum just to be safe.

The tank lighting is critical too, not just for plants but for fish. Make sure it is on during the normal "day" period, but off during night. A timer is a good idea to keep it consistent. Continual tanklight 24/7 is severe stress to fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back