Peppered Cory

njnauticalnut

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a small peppered cory that today is not very active nor is he very interested in eating which I don't think is normal for these guys.

I have a newly fishless cycled tank and the amonia is currently at .25 to .5 (was 0 but climbed a tad so I am doing water changes to get it under control. Nitrites and nitrates are at 0ppm.

I am not sure what is wrong with him. He is a really little guy, about 1/2" and has been very active until today.

Any suggestions on what I can do or do they sometimes get like this?

I see two potential issues. The first, is that cories are very suceptible to ammonia and nitrite poisoning, so that could be a factor. The second is that cories are social fish. They prefer to have friends of their own kind to hang out and play with. They don't necessarily need to be peppered cories (though that'd be great too!) as most cories will hang out with other different types of cories.

\Dan

FishDan said:
I see two potential issues. The first, is that cories are very suceptible to ammonia and nitrite poisoning, so that could be a factor. The second is that cories are social fish. They prefer to have friends of their own kind to hang out and play with. They don't necessarily need to be peppered cories (though that'd be great too!) as most cories will hang out with other different types of cories.

\Dan
Thanks, it may that the amonia is too high for him especially since he is so little. He has two other cories and two rubber-lipped plecos to hang out with so I don't think that he is lacking in the friendship department or do they need more than that?

Cories are schoaling species which means you need more of their kinds. 4 is usually considered minimum although you could get away with less.

My Peppered Corydoras sound very much like yours. :D

They are my least active fishes in the tank, and move only when they want to. They're only really active when I'm dropping food into the water. I don't see this inactivity as a problem.

Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt to rectify any water quality problems you may have, as suggested by FishDan, just in case.

Judging by your sig, you have 3 P.C.'s in your tank? That's a good number. :D

Aha sorry, I should have checked your sig for the numbers... ;)

Also, my panda cories are very inactive during the day. Around 8pm or so, when outside becomes little darker, for some reason even though the tank light is on, they start to become more active. They are very active during the night even under lighting.

Hi njnauticalnut :)

At only 1/2 inch, your peppered cory is still a fry. This is important because while they are so small they are effected even more than adults by poor water conditions.

You might want to consider moving him into your smaller tank until conditions stabilize in your new one. :D

I will keep an eye on this one, but his behavior is not his typical behavior. He, along with his two tankmates have been in almost constant motion, with rests every now and again. The other two are all scavenging all over the place, but he is still and barely moves when one of them comes over to him and nudges him. I have a feeling something is wrong. I am not sure if there is anything I can do.

Inchworm said:

At only 1/2 inch, your peppered cory is still a fry. This is important because while they are so small they are effected even more than adults by poor water conditions.

You might want to consider moving him into your smaller tank until conditions stabilize in your new one. :D
Actually he is more like an inch (I checked closer), is he still a fry?

I had thought about moving him to the smaller tank until the amonia is gone in the big tank. Even though it is a trace amount at .25, it may be affecting him as he is so young. I have two otos in the small tank, will they be okay together?

Perhaps you should listen to inchworm's advice. My personal experience is that cories are sensitive. I haven't killed many fishes so far, but cories are one of them. Once the tank is established, they seem hardy, but they are one of the species I put extra attention when they are introduced as new...

Even at 1" in length, your cory is still quite small. These fish will be between 3 and 4 inches long when they are mature.

The cory will cause no trouble for any fish, and that includes otos. :nod:

Well, no one is in the small tank tonight. -_- I checked the water parameters and they were perfect, amonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0-5ppm, but I decided to do a small water change anyway and rinse the sponge out and out of the blue, my filter died. :X So instead I put the fish from that tank in the 75 gallon till I get another filter tomorrow night. Oy! Oh well, hopefully, the little guy will be okay until tomorrow. I kept the filter and the water and everything in the tank so hopefully there will not be a cycle if I get a filter quickly. Ya think?

I've just got 2 Peppered Cory's (will be getting a couple more soon) and they never stop, they seem to love following Harlequin Rasboro around though the Harlequins don't look thrilled by it :D.

I do intend to increase their numbers in the Very near future, but they seem quite happy as they are.

Arfie

Well, little Huey seems to be doing better. He ate last night and today he is swimming around with his buddies as well as scavenging on his own. He is the cutest of the 3 corys, one of the others is about 1/2" bigger and the other about 1/4" bigger so he is the baby! I am continuing to keep an eye on him.

Thanks for you help.

I'm so glad to hear that little Huey has improved. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back