Peat In Filter To Lower Ph

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
7,580
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Leicestershire U.K
has anyone used peat to lower the pH level in their tank? my pH is at 7.8 and would like it lower and peat seems the most natural way... :unsure:

how often do you need to add/change it?

is it more hassle than its worth...?

any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Matt. :good:
 
I am not sure on how often to change it, or how much, but I would change it at least every month. Since it is so cheap.
 
I'd also be interested in advice on this. My pH is exactly the same and would love to lower it, stabily, so that I can keep some of the more delicate SA cichlids.
 
The problem with using peat is whilst it will lower the pH to a certain degree, it is unpredictable. If your fish are fine in you normal tapwater (and I take it this is what we are talking about here as a base) then leave well alone. If you are wanting to breed to keep more delicate species then I would look at water chemistry a little more closely. pH, gH, dKH and TDS. Read up a little on these aspects. Seek out alternatives to tapwater such as RO etc. (with RO you will still need to use additives and buffers to get your water to what you need for certain species and instrumentation and checks will always need to be periodically made)
Regards
BigC
 
Peat granules should be replaced about every two weeks. In my experience they don't work that well at lowering the Ph, but i filter through it because i like the amber tint it gives my tank water. RO water is much better. I use 1/2 RO water and 1/2 tap water, and the only thing i add is liquid ferts for the plants.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top