Pearl Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenni84

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello there

Yesterday i added some pearl gourami to my tank and have noticed that they seem to be very shy!

They tend to stay at top back part of the tank and when they do venture out and about, if i go near the tank they quickly go and hide again!

Is this normal and will they get more confident once they get used to their new home?

Thanks

Jenni :)

It's perfectly normal for them to hide away for a day or two, sometimes takes them a while to get used to the new tank.

They are stunning fish, plan on geting a trio myself in the next couple of weeks!

They only had a couple left in my lfs so i got 2 pearl and 2 opaline/3 spot. Some people might tell me i will have problems but they are getting along great and all seem to be females from what i can tell

If they are all females then you stand a better chance of it working out, it's having too many males that seems to cause the aggression.

I have researched them online and they all fit the female description but will keep an eye on them and see what happens.

I would take some pictures if they didnt hide everytime i go near the tank!!! lol

Lol, sound too shy to be evil!
Depending on size, they are normally pretty easy to sex. The dorsal fin is distinctly rounded compared to the male who has a longer, more pointed one. Don't know why I'm telling you this, sounds like you've done your homework already! :)

I have spent ages looking into different fish trying to decide what to put into my new bigger tank! lol

Gourami are really pretty though and the types i have are supposed to be fairly peaceful (as long as they are not boys!)

Would you say i have room for anything else with my current stocking (see sig)? Thats the part i have no clue about!!

:drool: You have my all time favourite Plec in there! :drool:
Inherited one ages ago but only lived two weeks, I was gutted.
As for stocking, you should have room for a couple more depending on what type of fish you like?

Oh he's a little beauty!!! I bought him off a member on here a few weeks ago. He is also very shy but comes out for a nosey once the lights are off!

Im not really sure what else i like at the moment! It took me long enough to choose the gourami! :lol:

Lol, know the feeling well. Lost count of how many times I couldn't make up my mind when it comes to fish. :blink:

I'll have to do some more research! lol

I'll be wanting a bigger tank soon enough even though i have only just moved up a size!

The fish i have all look good and healthy though and just been looking at my guppies, they have lovely long flowing tails! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back