FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I now have an empty, cycled 20-gallon long (30" x 12" x 12") and I'm trying to decide what to do with it (the fish nerd in me is elated). As my title implies, I'm really interested in keeping pufferfish. Due to the size of the tank, feeding ease, compatibility, and my lack of puffer experience, I assume pea puffers would be the best option? I love their big personalities. My water parameters are right for them, and the tank will be heavily planted. I understand they tend to do well in species-only tanks. So, I assume I could grab 5 or 7 of them and put them in and see how they do. But, I'm one of those people who way prefers community tanks and I'd really like to add some dither fish. Googling has led me to believe a few small, fast fish could be kept in a well-planted 20 with the little balls of fire provided the tank is well-monitored. I was thinking of a school of Ember Tetras and maybe some large shrimp for the added activity. I'm not that concerned about it because I have 2 backup tanks where fish could go if they decide I've staged a hunger games rather than an ecosystem. This leads me to my questions:

Is a pea puffer the best puffer for the job?
What do you guys keep with your pea puffers, if anything?
Can I keep ember tetras with pea puffers? If not, is there anything else I can?
How many pea puffers should I get and how many tetras if I choose to go community?
Any general puffer advice?

I read this article and affirmed that I could keep ember tetras with my puffers, but I'm still not sure how many.

10-12 would be fine....it's the puffer's numbers that you have to be careful with...they can be aggressive with one another

Dwarf Puffers can be mixed with other fish but its best to do so when they are in larger groups so they focus their attention on others rather than each other.

A better option for this tank might be the Red Eye Red Tail Puffer. A bit rarer than the dwarfs but still small growing and a bit easier to mix. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/carinotetraodon-irrubesco/

A small group of 4-5 would be good, but just stick to one male in a tank this size. Tank mates could include things like Peacock Gobies, small Rasboras like Chillis, Neon Green etc or a few other carefully selected species.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back