Pea Puffer in a tank with ICK

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ladyhawk

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently acquired a strange mix of freshwater fish from a neighbor. 2 Pea puffers, 1 rummy nose tetra, 1 green tiger barb and a cory cat. I won't mention the name of the big box store that should have never sold her this very mismatched bunch but that is only one of the problems. When they arrived at my house they were all in 1 container and apparently have all been living in a 5 gallon tank together. The only extra tank I have is a 10 gallon quarantine/hospital tank so I put them in there with lots of plants and rocks for hiding places. This was 3 days ago and now I see what may be white spots on the rummy nose. I needed a magnifying glass to look at the puffers but I don't see any spots on them or the other fish although the Barb is flashing. What the heck do I do about treatment? I raised the heat on the tank but I am afraid to medicate since the pea puffers are so sensitive as well as the rummy nose. I also don't think puffers can take salt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What a mess....

Well done for trying to sort out this tank.

The best treatment for ich is actually heat on its own. Salt doesn't kill ich (marine fish get ich!) but salt can help stop secondary infections in the wound from the ich parasite - but extra water changes will also do this.

Do a big water change and bottom clean to remove as many stage #2 parasites as possible, then refill with water warmer than usual and turn up the heater. Get the temp to 86 deg F as measured by a thermometer in the water (not the heater setting or a thermometer stuck on the outside) and leave it there for 2 weeks, or a week after the last spot disappears whichever is later.

Well done for trying to sort out this tank.

The best treatment for ich is actually heat on its own. Salt doesn't kill ich (marine fish get ich!) but salt can help stop secondary infections in the wound from the ich parasite - but extra water changes will also do this.

Do a big water change and bottom clean to remove as many stage #2 parasites as possible, then refill with water warmer than usual and turn up the heater. Get the temp to 86 deg F as measured by a thermometer in the water (not the heater setting or a thermometer stuck on the outside) and leave it there for 2 weeks, or a week after the last spot disappears whichever is later.
Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your knowledge, this information is so helpful! I am starting the process now and will update.

Most reactions

trending

Back