Pcv Use In Aquaria

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nkd5024

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a couple questions for anyone who has used PVC in their setup.

I currently have an overflow box that siphons water down to the sump with a return pump that pumps it back to the display tank.
Both the overflow and the return pump use 1 in. vinyl tubing, which I want to replace with 1 in. PVC.
The main reason I want to switch to PVC is so I can add a check valve into the return line so if the power goes out, water doesn't get siphoned into the sump.
Is it alright to use normal PVC primer and cement? Or is there a brand that is better to use for aquarium uses?
I think I'm going to keep the vinyl tubing in place on the overflow, since I really only want to use PVC for a check valve.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Nick

I wouldn't rely on check valves too much... They must be cleaned often in order to maintain proper function and still can not work properly after some time.

Do you have a picture of your set-up? I personally prefer to drill holes in the plumbing to prevent back siphoning... Much more reliable.

I currently don't have any pictures, but I will take a few tomorrow and post them for you.

I'm guessing you would drill the holes an inch or so below the display tank surface, to minimize the amount of water siphoned?
What size hole would you recommend to prevent siphoning?

Thanks,
Nick

I currently don't have any pictures, but I will take a few tomorrow and post them for you.

I'm guessing you would drill the holes an inch or so below the display tank surface, to minimize the amount of water siphoned?
What size hole would you recommend to prevent siphoning?

Thanks,
Nick

Yes, you want to drill the hole so that it is underwater when the pump is on, and becomes surfaced when the pump turns off. You want to make sure the hole is large enough so that it does not get clogged easily. MY holes are probably 2 or 3 mm in diameter.

alright cool, that seems really reliable.
I think I'm going to drill the hole on the back side of the PVC, facing the back of the tank.

So my last question is, would it be alright to use normal PVC primer and cement?
Or is there a brand the is better to use for aquariums?

Thanks, :good:
Nick

As far as I remember, I just used regular stuff.. just make sure it's completely dry for using of course. Maybe someone can second that just to be sure.

Most reactions

trending

Back