Parents

its annoys me, especially when they do it with keys. But the main problem i have is kids putting their hands in the koi vat especially with the surgeon trying to stroke their bellies.
The naughest ones get put in rosies tank(red tail amazon catfish) She swalllows all the evidence
Jonny
 
Setup an outdoor pond with some silver dollars and put signs up everywhere saying - WARNING - PIRHANA TANK. Then stick a plank out into the middle of it and make the little so-and-so's walk down it. Just remember to keep a few pair of kids trousers handy, they'll likely need a new pair once you've made them walk the plank.

Or have a word with the kids parents and tell them they're scaring the fish s**tless, they probably know no different.

This makes me want to find a cold water fish that looks enough like a piranha to teach my niece a lesson about messing with my fish. Maybe I can let the neighbors see me dangling stray cats over the pond.
 
I'm extremely protective of my tanks and don't let anyone near them. I won't even let my wife do a thing for my fish (she loves that idea anyways)

Her nephews came over one day and thought it would be cute to stick their hands inside of my tank to play with my S. rhombeus piranha I had at the time. (I have a different one now) I screamed at them just as they stuck a couple fingers in and they turned to me instead of taking their hands out and not even 2 seconds later he dashed from the other side of the tank and barely missed his fingers and he heard all the commotion from him splashing at the top of the water and yanked his hand out.

I went outside and got a rather large stick and stuck it in there and the piranha proceeded to snap it in half in one bite.

I said "See that stick laying on the bottom there?" He says Yea. I said "That's your hand he just bit off." and he started crying. lol I then told him and his brothers and sister that now that they know what can happen fel free to play with my fish if you'd like.

Haven't had a problem since.
 
Give the kids a bag of weed until they are out of it, chuck em in the tank so they nearlly drown and they will never do it again! and if the parents have anything to say chuck them in ASWELL!!!

Baah Hum Bug

or you could always put a sign on the tank saying "Those who touch with their fingers, Will have their fingers removed" and a picture of a severed finger, that would work....
 
Maybe you could get a harmless little reef sharks and make the bad kids stick in their hands, tell them they're man-eating and will pull you in!

:lol:
 
lol all you guys/gals are funny!! Love the walking the plank idea :) And gatorbaits story was hilarious with the stick demo and making him cry!!

Sadly, I haven't found a way to keep my kids out of MY tanks yet. They are 4 and 6 :sad: Time outs, spanking, taking toys away for a certain period of time...tried all that.

But they don't mess w/the lfs fish anymore....how odd??? only mommies fish.

It could be that I've only had my huge tank set up since about Feb so it's still new to them. They haven't done anything (that I know of for a few weeks though)...last thing they did was feed them Ritz crackers..in my cichlid tank :crazy: Fish are still alive....
 
Maybe you could get a harmless little reef sharks and make the bad kids stick in their hands, tell them they're man-eating and will pull you in!

:lol:

Let them watch Jaws first, too. Alternately, going with the silver dollar/pacu fake piranhas, I'm sure there's some movie where a guy gets torn apart by piranhas you can let them watch before they have to put their hands in the "piranha" tank.
 
lol all you guys/gals are funny!! Love the walking the plank idea :) And gatorbaits story was hilarious with the stick demo and making him cry!!

Sadly, I haven't found a way to keep my kids out of MY tanks yet. They are 4 and 6 :sad: Time outs, spanking, taking toys away for a certain period of time...tried all that.

But they don't mess w/the lfs fish anymore....how odd??? only mommies fish.

It could be that I've only had my huge tank set up since about Feb so it's still new to them. They haven't done anything (that I know of for a few weeks though)...last thing they did was feed them Ritz crackers..in my cichlid tank :crazy: Fish are still alive....

just a suggestion of course, but why not get them involved, teach them, show them books,pics on the net etc,even go as far as getting them a little tank of their own,my 4yr old was doing WC (under supervision)
and mainating his own tank when he was 3, he loved it, i loved him sharing it, he hand feeds jambo,and really shows a respect for the fish,theyre not toys and there isnt any sign of him treating them as such, i would reccomend giving it a go, as the more you say no,the more they want to do it, good luck if you do go ahead and give it a go :)
 
just a suggestion of course, but why not get them involved, teach them, show them books,pics on the net etc,even go as far as getting them a little tank of their own,my 4yr old was doing WC (under supervision)
and mainating his own tank when he was 3, he loved it, i loved him sharing it, he hand feeds jambo,and really shows a respect for the fish,theyre not toys and there isnt any sign of him treating them as such, i would reccomend giving it a go, as the more you say no,the more they want to do it, good luck if you do go ahead and give it a go :)
My oldest will officially be 6 on Aug 24 and I was thinking of giving him my 29 gallon tank :shifty: But I'm not sure I want to give that up. It's my QT tank, however, I do have a 10 gallon tank that I could QT in as well. I may look the classifieds and see if I can find a 29 gallon cheap. I was thinking about letting him pick his fish too (within reason...lol...no balas). We'll see if my hubby goes for it :good:
 
I make one observation here..... People who love fish, do not like children..... (seems to be fairly general)...... Where do little aquarists then come from??....Storkfish??
 
everytime my nephew taps the tank, i give him a swift telling off, which he doesnt like obviously, but it needs to be done.
 
Maybe you could get a harmless little reef sharks and make the bad kids stick in their hands, tell them they're man-eating and will pull you in!

:lol:

Let them watch Jaws first, too. Alternately, going with the silver dollar/pacu fake piranhas, I'm sure there's some movie where a guy gets torn apart by piranhas you can let them watch before they have to put their hands in the "piranha" tank.

Did you see piranha?

I make one observation here..... People who love fish, do not like children..... (seems to be fairly general)...... Where do little aquarists then come from??....Storkfish??

Well, I came from mostly non-fish parents, my dad kept black moor goldfish as a kid, but that's interesting. I started fishkeeping in August '06, and I was 12 back then.
 
I make one observation here..... People who love fish, do not like children..... (seems to be fairly general)...... Where do little aquarists then come from??....Storkfish??

The most irritating kid I've yet seen stood on my lawn this afternoon (about 7yrs old)... and whilst watching him through the window, he chucked a handfull of sand into a pond close to the window in my front yard....

I moved the curtains away and knocked on the window shouting at him.......

I dunno whose kid it was, but I think they're gonna be looking for him for a coupla days...... he took off, & I think he is still running.... The little nondescript!!!!!!!!
 
I make one observation here..... People who love fish, do not like children..... (seems to be fairly general)...... Where do little aquarists then come from??....Storkfish??

The most irritating kid I've yet seen stood on my lawn this afternoon (about 7yrs old)... and whilst watching him through the window, he chucked a handfull of sand into a pond close to the window in my front yard....

I moved the curtains away and knocked on the window shouting at him.......

I dunno whose kid it was, but I think they're gonna be looking for him for a coupla days...... he took off, & I think he is still running.... The little nondescript!!!!!!!!

Where have you been Ludwig, I missed you :o...... Post is old though
 

Most reactions

Back
Top